Sign in with
Your question

Computer turns on for a second or two, then turns off

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2010 5:21:16 AM

Hi:

Wondering if you can tell me what's going on with my computer? When I first turn it on in the morning, it goes on for a second or two, then shuts off. When I try again a second and/or third time, it starts up normally. Do I have a short or something? A time or two, I got a black screen with some "suggestions" -- one was to start Windows normally -- I clicked on that and everything started up normally.

I am not a hands-on repair person, so if it looks like I have to take apart my computer, I will call Geek Squad!

More about : computer turns turns

a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 2:52:48 PM

Is it an Asus P5Q board? If so, let it "turn off" and wait about 5 seconds to turn back on.

If not, are you detaching the power cable after shutting dwon at night?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 4:42:20 PM

it seems like you have a capacitor which is taking time to charge up.

this could be on the powersupply or the motherboard. - the power supply is the easiest to change and the cheapest.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 4:45:40 PM

could also be a part overheating:

open up the case of the computer and dust it off.

Also check to see if fan is running properly and also power supply might have problems.

Good luck
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 4:54:23 PM

dextermat said:

Also check to see if fan is running properly and also power supply might have problems.

Good luck

I don't know how it can overheat in 1 or 2 seconds. He said he waits a few seconds, tries again and it works. My Asus P5Q SE mobo does what his does with the on/off/on again all by itself, but only after I change the BIOS settings or after I leave it unplugged overnight.

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2010 5:11:40 PM

dextermat said:

Good luck

it would not be over heating

it would run for longer than 1-2 seconds before shutting down.

but it could be a fan issue sticking which stops the pc from getting hot as a fan failure circuit should work.
m
l
!