Sign in with
Your question

Urgently need help choosing cooler, psu & gpu

Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2012 10:39:25 AM

Hello every one

I would appreciate any help and suggestions for my upgrade and like to finish my build by end of month and it would consist of the following which i have already purchased:

Cpu: i5 2500k
Asus: P8Z68-v Pro/gen3
Case: Corsair 600t white
Mem: Corsair Vengence 1600 4Gx2
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

I want to add either a cpu air cooler or a corsair closed loop cpu cooler and with that i was looking at getting me a corsair ax750 psu for headroom and seeing that it has cable management for suffient airflow in case. The coolers being the CM Hyper 212 evo or the Corsair H80 because of all the hype these coolers have recieved from forums i have read, i am leaning more towards the H80 because of its sleak design without cockbloking my ram slots, seems all the good AIR cpu coolers are huge and some or the other have a influence on the 1st dimm ram slot. If any one can help make my decision more easier it would be so great. I also want to add a geforce gtx 670 when it comes out. I am concerned about the noise level of these components aswell for quiet computing. Concerning the corsair ax750psu and the reason i want it is so that i dont stress the other components to much, maybe even sli the 670 down the line.. I would be buying from Frontosa.

Any suggestions concerning cpu cooler, psu and gpu would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
May 15, 2012 11:12:14 AM

I would get the H80. I personally have the H100 and I love it. That PSU if fine, but if you want to SLI, I would go with an 850W or higher. The GTX 670 is already out, and I would highly recommend it. 90% of the performance of the 680 for $100 less.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 11:22:11 AM

H80 is good because it doesn't stick a large hunk of metal/fans over your RAM slots at all. Don't expect much from it though. It's comparable to the old H50 with 2 fans in push/pull from a performance standpoint. I still prefer this type of setup over a large heatsink where I'm trying to work. Plus, the pump/plate on these LCLCs don't put stress on your board at all. You do add a rather large hunk of metal and two fans to your exhaust port to the back of the inside of your case, though. I guess it depends where you want to put your metal. I still prefer the LCLC solution.

If you're going to OC your processor and GPU(s) at all, I would bump the PSU to a Corsair hx or ax850 since you also mentioned SLI as a future consideration. The 850W gives you a little more flexibility moving forward.

The 670 is on the market now at around $400:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't have experience with the Galaxy brand, but it's what newegg has in stock today.

Everything else you have looks solid.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 12:31:43 PM

Thanks guys for the fast replies, appreciate it. Lots of folks are telling me that the H80 is abit loud, is there anyway i can do having it run quiet or having it run at low seeing that there will little to no overclocking.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 12:33:50 PM

akk86 said:
Thanks guys for the fast replies, appreciate it. Lots of folks are telling me that the H80 is abit loud, is there anyway i can do having it run quiet or having it run at low seeing that there will little to no overclocking.

You can pick up two decent quiet aftermarket fans for around $10 a piece that are better than those that come with the H80. It quiets things down considerably. This is pretty much the rule with any of this type of cooler. They give you pretty loud fans in the box.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:30:17 PM

What are your temps like bookwormsy with your h100?
m
l
May 15, 2012 2:37:15 PM

bookwormsy said:
I would get the H80. I personally have the H100 and I love it. That PSU if fine, but if you want to SLI, I would go with an 850W or higher. The GTX 670 is already out, and I would highly recommend it. 90% of the performance of the 680 for $100 less.

m
l
June 11, 2012 5:59:41 PM

akk86 said:

I run Folding@home, and my temperature is currently in the mid to high 50s (degrees C) on my i7 3930k.
m
l
!