CPU Fan Error!

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
I recently completed my first build using a Corsair Obsidian 650D case, Asus P8Z77-V motherboard, and Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler. When I installed the CPU cooler I hooked it up to the case's fan controller instead of the motherboard. Everything works fine but when I first started it up it gave me a "CPU Fan Error!" message. I did a little research and just went to the BIOS and set it to boot through error messages. Now everything starts up and works just fine. I'm assuming the computer just doesn't know that there's a CPU fan there.

Everything ok with how I did it or is there a different approach I should take?

your right the computer is unhappy because you plugged the cpu fan to the fan controller instead of the motherboard CPU_FAN header.
nothing bad will happen, but at the same time i dont see why would you want to control your heatsink fan speeds, the motherboard will adjust the speeds automatically

mruiz

Honorable
May 13, 2012
It was a connection issue. The heatsink I installed had two fans which each had 3 pin connectors, my motherboard's CPU Fan header is 4 pins. Could I still connect the 3 pin fans into the 4 pin CPU Fan header?

dowhopdedodo

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Just built a system with this board using a 3570 and a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo (the newest Hyper with 4 pins) and I'm getting the same fail on first boot, "CPU fan failure," despite having the cooler connected to the main CPUfan mb location.

The fan isn't actually failing. It's running at 575-625 revs which puts it in the red on the Asus bios. That shows it as underperforming per some spec which appears to evoke the F1 fail alert. Actual cpu temps are running 27-30c, so it doesn't appear to be a heat problem either.

The odd thing is the prompt only happens of first boot. Subsequent boots post normally. I'm not sure where the problem is, but the fan spins up under load.
It's annoying. I'm building an identical system for my wife and will see today if it's a repeating problem or an isolated board issue.

hwezdarik

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi, I am getting the same issue with the 3570K and Hyper 212 Evo... the fan is working thou... Just wandering how did you solve ur issue ???

Cheers