Closed Solved

Options for SSD conversion and x58 mobo

Would like to change over to SSD, Looking at the Crucial M4, Vertex 3, and Intel 510 series. Want a 120 starting out to load my OS on and a couple games (will eventually get two more 120s for raid 0 for just games and programs) but not sure if my EVGA x58 E760A1 will give me the rated speeds these drives offer..i wouldnt be connecting them up to the jmicron slots either as this will only give me issues..

I was also thinking about the revo drive x2 since its a pcie user and can go upwards of 700 read/write..

again im just not sure if my mobo can handle these drives up to there rated speeds and would like your opinions
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about options conversion mobo
  1. Best answer
    No, you will not get the maximum advertised speeds of SATA 6Gb/s SSDs from any X58 chipset motherboard.

All X58 motherboards use Marvell controllers for their 6Gb/s ports. Your motherboard uses the Marvell 9128 controller which has a bandwidth of PCIe x1.

But to be honest, I don't know if there is any noticeable real world difference between your drive's maximum speed and the speed you get connected to the Marvell port. Maybe, maybe not.
  2. If you intend to use the RevoDrive you have to make a visit to the ocz site and see if your motherboard is on the list of compatable motherboards. I have been using the RevoDrives since they came out and have gad good sucess with them. I have used the drives on two Asus boards , the Rampage 111 Extreme and the P6X58-E WS. I am currently using the Revo x2 , however at the moment I am using a Corsair SSD as the boot drive and the Revo as a storage drive and putting all the games and such on it. Because ssd's are not as big as conventional drives they do fill up fast so I wanted to get the best useage from the Revo without filling it up with windows and everything else. I have win 7 64 bit on the Corsair and BF3 on the Revo and it's working out pretty good up to this point. You do get the high speeds from the RevoDrive being on the Pci-e slot , a lot higher than a regular SSD and being on the pci-e slot you don't have to worry about the Marvell controller because it bypasses the sata connection altogether.
  3. thanks guys, i will start looking at a replacement mobo then.
  4. Best answer selected by digitalraven.
  5. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage