Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P6X58D Premium Memory/Bios Help

Last response: in Motherboards
June 12, 2010 5:03:33 PM

Hey there!

Just completed my custom build yesterday (first build ever) feat. my ASUS P6X58D Premium, and so far everythings running smooth - i already have my CPU OC'ed to a stable 4.0 GHz.

However, when it comes to Memory/RAM timings and speed, i'm a little lost (call me a n00b). When i check mobo info in windows, my memory seem to run much slower than they're meant to, and i haven't been able to find out how to check/manage this yet - maybe i'm looking the wrong place?
Here's my build:

i7-930 @ 4.0 GHz (Hyper-212 plus heatsink)
ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM
Mushkin Enchanced Redline 1600 MHz, 6-8-6-24 timings

As i said, in my motherboard info it says that the current speed is 1066 Mhz. Where in Bios (or wherever) can i change this to the native 1600? And where can i check/correct my timings?

Sorry for posting these (probably) rather obvious questions, but hey, i've gotta start somewhere... :-)

Cheers
June 12, 2010 6:12:01 PM

p.s. how did you go about OC'ing your CPU? I suppose that should be my first step before I optimize my ram timings since they're dependent on the CPU speed.
June 12, 2010 6:13:29 PM

I'm the same position as you. Just finished my first build and after a lot of hassle from my USB thumbdrive got windows 7 to finally load.

But I'm having some ram issues as well... underclocked as well as not recognizing 4gb of the 6gb I bought. :( 

Let me know what you find out... I'm pretty sure you can tweak with all that stuff in BIOS.

Check out this link.. I'm reading through it right now and it may help you..

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-12gb-memory-overcloc...
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 12, 2010 6:17:15 PM

You have to go into bios and change the mhz to 1600, it'll always default at something lower than 1600.

Is that memory http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ?
The specs on there show 6-7-6-18 for 1600mhz.

Download CPU-Z and check to see what it says under memory and reply back

June 12, 2010 7:15:13 PM

Oookay, very interesting - i found out how to change these things, but so far the result hasn't been good :-)
PC crashed and wouldn't boot - allmost had a heart attack - but after some frantic searching/reading i found out i had to reset Bios with the MemOk! switch on the board. Phew, lol.

Anyways: in Bios, under the "AI Tweaker" Tab, you can change the "Ai Overclock Tuner" to different settings - and if you have the same RAM as me, they should support "XMP" which was what i tried.
Everything looked fine in Bios - timings + speed showed up right, but the PC would fail to boot - and why that is i have no clue.
Perhaps between the CPU-OC-settings and the XMP-RAM settings something went wrong? If some1 has an answer to this, please clarify :-)
After that failed, i tried just changing the timers under AI Tweaker Tab/DRAM Timing Control in bios - the tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS timings (first 4 under 1st information) to 6-8-6-24, but again PC failed to boot. Cue anyone?

So now i'm back where i started - CPU overclocked, but for now i'm done experimenting with the RAM.

The overclock was done with help from this: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/662236-asus...
In fact i just copied his settings, and it worked fine - did a Prime 95 test for 7 hours with no errors, going to perform a 12h+ tomorrow to make sure though.
Temps will get a bit high on 100% load though, i had my 4 cores around 80-86 C*, but considering i'll probably never use that amount of CPU power on anything, i should be fine. Even so, i check my temps regularly.

Hope that all makes sense :-)
June 12, 2010 7:44:05 PM

Hm... 80-86C is awwwwwfully hot from what I've read. But ya, you probably won't push your CPU that hard.

What are your idle/normal usage temps?

I don't really have any advice on the RAM unfortuantely. :( 
I've heard lots of people say to disable XMP though... it's a thought.
June 12, 2010 7:57:18 PM

Did a lot of searches on the temps, and it doesn't seem to be that bad for 4.0 MHz OC with Hyperthreading - the i7's run pretty hot. Maybe i could shave off a couple C if i applied some more thermal paste - think i understated the amount necessary there - but else i'd have to buy a new heatsink.

Idle temps are around 40-43 C*, so no probs there.

XMP is disabled - just running stock now. :-)
June 12, 2010 8:00:57 PM

When I go to change DRAM frequency only options available are 1333 and lower, this is what I Don't understand, it will only show 1600 if i enable xmp profile but enabling xmp profile makes my cpu really hot all I want to do is set the dram frequency to 1600 and not overclock the CPU.
June 12, 2010 8:22:55 PM

Hmmm - i guess i'd like to see the answer to that as well :-) I'm clueless.
June 12, 2010 10:46:44 PM

Ive raised the BCLK to 160 how the correct options are showing for the memory is this correct way of doing it?
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2010 12:57:23 AM

djjohn8 said:
Did a lot of searches on the temps, and it doesn't seem to be that bad for 4.0 MHz OC with Hyperthreading - the i7's run pretty hot. Maybe i could shave off a couple C if i applied some more thermal paste - think i understated the amount necessary there - but else i'd have to buy a new heatsink.

Idle temps are around 40-43 C*, so no probs there.

You're using the Hyper212 and getting 80-86ÂșC on a 4.0 oc ? Stop running Prime and lower your overclock till you check your TIM application and reapply, and/or get a different cooler.
Here's a couple of links to help you with applying the TIM
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252942-29-some-notes-...
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Idle temps are meaningless.
!