Sign in with
Your question

What should I get to power my system?

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2009 8:13:08 PM

hello there, I've made a few threads here on almost the same topic but I wanted some more opinions, as I have brought down my PSUs to a few things.

This is the setup I plan on running

EVGA X58 Classified
6GB DDR3 1600MHZ (plan on overclocking + upgrading to 12GB when the time is right)
Intel Core i7 920 (Plan on overclocking to 3.8-4.0 ghz)
Radeon 5870 (I plan on either going Dual 5870s, or even getting two 5970s when the price is right)
2 7200RPM sata drives
1 Blu Ray
9 LED case fans
1 1000RPM Veloci raptor

and I was going to get an 850W PSU -- Now I know it will run two 5870s, but will an 850W be good with 12gb ram, two 5970s, and an overclocked 920?

However, if the 850W is not enough to power a system like this would 1000W Be good enough?

I was going to get the 850W XFX black edition (its a top tiered unit on Neweggs community forum, and i've seen awesome ratings everywhere)

If the 850W isn't enough to power a system like this, I was going to go with the OCZ gold edition -- or a Corshair HX1000

Thanks,

Nick

More about : power system

December 1, 2009 8:17:47 PM

I'd get an 850 watt Corsair. Besides being a very nice PSU, you can pull a 1000 watts out of one.
December 1, 2009 8:22:17 PM

you think 850W is sufficient to run everything there even with the upgrades I specified?
Related resources
December 2, 2009 6:20:43 AM

What is the required amps on the 12v rail for that card? The high level ATI cards are quite power hungry from what I hear...and if you're intending on running two of them..

Just a random thought - I would go SSD over velociraptor. Even the entry level kingstons are faster, plus you get speed without access times. Have a look at some reviews of high RPM HDDs vs SSDs and see what you think. I recently got an SSD and it is insane!
December 2, 2009 2:52:41 PM

The choice can't be made by brand name alone as each vendor (note I didn't say manufacturer), has their different lines (which are designed to meet various price points and markets) made by different OEM's. Antec's SG line for example is made by Delta. ANtec's other lines are made by somebody else.

To my mind, the appropriate PSU's to consider for twin GFX and aggressive OC'ing are:

Antec SG-850
Corsair HX-850

Those are very similar electrically tho the Antec is quieter. Note that the Corsair TC and Antec TP series, are not in the same category. Now if you are using bthe Antec 1200, 193 or 183 cases, the Antec CP-850 is **the** PSU to buy. The quality / cost ratio is unequaled in the industry.

See the Editor's Choice and "Recommended PSU" lists here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

and the CP-850 review here:"

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article971-page7.html

December 2, 2009 7:45:53 PM

Why do you want 9 LED case fans? Have you really tought about the noise it will create? Even using 12 DB Papst case fans, 9 of them will together with CPU fan, Graphic card fan and PSU fans sound very much. OK, its cool modding with LEDs but my sens is that you probably would have to put the computer in the wardrobe to stand the noise! Understand that you are in great need of cooling with all that overclocking but would it not be more effective with watercooling then 9 case fans?
December 2, 2009 9:45:33 PM

A) I'm a gamer -- I don't care about sound. I've got a quality headset that is noise cancelling.. while I'm gaming I won't hear them especially on the HAF 932. And I really don't care about the sound anyway.

B) I'm getting a HAF 932 -- it's meant for air-cooling.

C) Watercooling is expensive.
!