Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Build Under 550.00 (help out an old guy?)

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 1, 2009 8:17:51 PM

Hi everyone,

It's been years since I've built my own PC. I figured I'd ask some of the experts on these forums for advice, so here it is!

I intend to build a PC computer specifically for this massively multilayer online game (though I'm sure it will be used for others as well):

http://www.swtor.com

The game will be released between February and May 2010.


APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Immediately - $500.00 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (http://www.swtor.com in particular)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (Vista 64)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I intend to hook this into a flat screen LCD HDTV 1080p - 1920 x 1080 -1200 x 800



ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-Should I look into crossfire possibilities - is this worth it?

-Do you think more money would be necessary to max out this games performance?

I'm totally out of the game guys - need some help to understand what's what these days. Thank you all very much!

More about : gaming build 550 guy

December 1, 2009 9:08:15 PM

For your monitor resolution it would help if you supplied cold hard numbers (e.g. 1200x800 and so on) so it is easier to pick a video card that will run it at your TV's res. It is better to get a single video card that is insanely good than 2 video cards that are average. For $500 it would be wise to go with an AMD build to get the most out of your money.
m
0
l
December 1, 2009 9:18:42 PM

starflame said:
Hi everyone,

It's been years since I've built my own PC. I figured I'd ask some of the experts on these forums for advice, so here it is!

I intend to build a PC computer specifically for this massively multilayer online game (though I'm sure it will be used for others as well):

http://www.swtor.com

The game will be released between February and May 2010.


APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Immediately - $500.00 before rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (http://www.swtor.com in particular)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (Vista 64)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I intend to hook this into a flat screen HDTV - anything I should know?



ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-Should I look into crossfire possibilities - is this worth it?

-Do you think more money would be necessary to max out this games performance?

I'm totally out of the game guys - need some help to understand what's what these days. Thank you all very much!




refer this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275687-31-rate-corei5... some of the stuff I got to build my $600 Core I5 system is still available and u can grab them too....
m
0
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 9:51:01 PM

tpho2500 said:
For your monitor resolution it would help if you supplied cold hard numbers (e.g. 1200x800 and so on) so it is easier to pick a video card that will run it at your TV's res. It is better to get a single video card that is insanely good than 2 video cards that are average. For $500 it would be wise to go with an AMD build to get the most out of your money.


What card would you recommend specifically? I changed the res on my post to be a bit more specific.

Thanks!
m
0
l
December 1, 2009 9:52:03 PM

gayan said:
refer this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275687-31-rate-corei5... some of the stuff I got to build my $600 Core I5 system is still available and u can grab them too....


Thanks for that ... yes I was going to purchase some parts on Black Friday but I wasn't sure about which to get. I probably missed out on some great deas :pfff: 
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 1:13:06 AM

Well, heres my take on it, which is similar to what I'm planning on getting. I made two different builds because you are in a rut between getting a lower model versus the upper one. Plus, there are a lot of rebates that would save you around a hundred bucks, enough to upgrade to the higher model.


SYSTEM 1 - VALUE SYSTEM - PRICE = About $480 after rebates

CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 545 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Even though its not a black edition, it is still a seasoned overclocker.)

CPU Cooler - ZALMAN CNPS9700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(a high quality CPU cooler that will give longevity to your CPU.)

CPU Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Gotta have it, no exceptions.)

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(a solid Mobo that hops through all the hoops you need to, and its on sale)

RAM - GeIL DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Cheap RAM that is fast, what more can you ask for.)

Case - XCLIO A380BK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Spacious case with massive fans for a good price)

Power Supply - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(DIRTY CHEAP, and a good company that you can't go wrong with)

Video Card - XFX HD-485X-YDFC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Pretty middle of the road card, not a bad buy though.)


SYSTEM 2 - PERFORMANCE SYSTEM - About $560 after rebates

CPU - AMD Phenom II 925 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(now I know people are gonna give me hell for this, but its the cheapest way to get your foot in the door for a quad-core.)

CPU Cooler - ZALMAN CNPS9700 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(a high quality CPU cooler that will give longevity to your CPU.)

CPU Thermal Paste - Arctic Silver 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Gotta have it, no exceptions)

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(a solid Mobo that hops through all the hoops you need to, and its on sale)

RAM - GeIL DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Cheap RAM that is fast, what more can you ask for)

Case - XCLIO A380BK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Spacious case with massive fans for a good price)

Power Supply - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(DIRTY CHEAP, and a good company that you can't go wrong with)

Video Card - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(A much quicker card that will have enormous performance increases over the 4850.)

Cheers.
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 2:18:15 AM

Forgot to include HDD + ODD in ^^
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 2:42:17 AM

batuchka said:
Forgot to include HDD + ODD in ^^
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/AAKS.jpg

I think it would be wise to chose a dual-core proc because he is focusing more on gaming, not multitasking. While it would be nice to have a quad-core and all, I really think that a dual core with L3 cache would prove more fruitful. Plus, you could use the money that you are saving to buy a case that will A)Provide more airflow B)Look way more kick-ass. And oops about the peripherals :D  .
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 2:44:52 AM

All/any dual core will get a wee bit bullied once faced with a game like GTA4/Dragons Origin - the minimum entry level for a fresh build for my clients i would shoot for the A2X3 425 $76

L3 is a point but in applications other than gaming ^^
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 3:07:24 AM

well if going quad core, the cheapest way to go would be with the athlon II x4 620 and not the phenom II 925...I think I would go with the 620, just because Ive heard such good things about it...its a tough call between the 620 and the phenom x2 550 BE, but I think Id still take the quad core....

I wouldnt recommend getting such an expensive aftermarket cooler just yet...i consider those things more of a privilege rather than a necessity...I would first check out and see how well the stock cooler performs, and if need then move to an aftermarket cooler...btw, there are cheaper alternatives that give just as good performance as the expensive big boys...

That gigabyte motherboard foxer recommended is great...and for a good price too....im a fan of 770 boards (got a biostar TA770 a2+ SE)....solid performance that doesnt break the bank...

I would go for the 4870>4850...I currently own an HD4850 and so far I do get pretty good performance on my 24 inch monitor...but I would definitely step it up to a 4870 if I could, especially since its only like $30 more or something like that...youll handle games easier and the card will certainly last longer...

And about the case...the OP should just get whatever case he wants...its a matter of personal taste...some people like flashy cases and some people rather save the money to spend it on some other part....
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 3:24:52 AM

^ya man...the only thing I wish I had was 125watt support...mine only "officially" supports up to 95watt phenom II processors...even though Im currently using a 125watt amd athlon x2 6000+...
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 3:33:24 AM

Thanks for replies all . . .

I've heard that tri core is better for the value for games any truth to this?

I'm stuck between the 5770, 5870 and GTS 250 512mb . . . everyone seems to recommend a different one! Is there any truth to the Nvidia > AMD when same price argument?
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 3:45:27 AM

Raw frames the HD 5870 of course but it really depends on what gamer profile you fall into and budget hehe
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 3:58:17 AM

Lol ok my gamer profile is for only one game with graphics like this:




and this:


m
0
l
December 2, 2009 4:12:13 AM

the 720 is pretty good because it has an unlocked multiplier, which makes it easier to overclock...and it has that third core which helps it in multicore supported programs and games...

the 5870 is more powerful, but vastly more expensive...i hear that geforce 250 is practically a slightly improved replacement for the 9800gt, which was a replacement for the 8800gt...considering the cheap price the 4870 has fallen, I would definitely grab one of those...the only reason to consider a 5 series card is for directx11 support
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 4:18:27 AM

well its hard to tell what you are going to need for that specific game when we dont know what the requirements are for it...but considering that its going to be an mmo, you probably wont need a $2000 rig to play it...
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 4:27:27 AM

ahslan said:
well its hard to tell what you are going to need for that specific game when we dont know what the requirements are for it...but considering that its going to be an mmo, you probably wont need a $2000 rig to play it...



Any ideas on tri core vs quad? And how important is my motherboard going to be in all. Anywhere I can cut corners. . .
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 4:42:36 AM

well the quad core will obviously be more handy with programs that are optimized for multiple cores...so it depends on the game i guess...the 720 is more expensive solely because it has more overclocking potential than the 620 due to the unlocked multiplier...

Its important to get a solid motherboard...running into motherboard problems will probably be one of the last things youll want to face when building a rig...so go with something from a reputable brand...but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to break the bank to do so...i think that gigabyte mobo that foxer linked is an excellent choice...the 770 chipset is a solid choice because its relatively cheap when compared to other motherboards because it doesnt have crossfire support...you can cut corners on stuff like the aftermarket cpu cooler and the case...a simple atx with decent airflow will certainly do the trick..
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 4:55:29 AM

ahslan said:
well the quad core will obviously be more handy with programs that are optimized for multiple cores...so it depends on the game i guess...the 720 is more expensive solely because it has more overclocking potential than the 620 due to the unlocked multiplier...

Its important to get a solid motherboard...running into motherboard problems will probably be one of the last things youll want to face when building a rig...so go with something from a reputable brand...but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to break the bank to do so...i think that gigabyte mobo that foxer linked is an excellent choice...the 770 chipset is a solid choice because its relatively cheap when compared to other motherboards because it doesnt have crossfire support...you can cut corners on stuff like the aftermarket cpu cooler and the case...a simple atx with decent airflow will certainly do the trick..



I found this Biostar that goes well with DRR3 1600 ram for a good price. Opinion on this guy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138167
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 5:05:14 AM

the only con I can see with that mobo is that it only has 2 slots for ram...
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 5:47:51 AM

Ok guys here's what I have so far - tell me if 530W is enough. I just hate doing those rebates for the better priced 600w . . .


SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C - $26.99


GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $79.99


Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC - $44.99


GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Dual Channel - 63.99


AMD Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX425WFGIBOX -$76.99


XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5 PCI Express VGA Card - $149.99


APEX TX-381-C Black Steel Micro ATX Tower Computer Case - Retail - $19.99
]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154094]

Hard Drive 80 GB Barracuda 7200 RPM: Free (friend has spare)


Total Cost: $462.44


Anything I'm missing . . . fans, cooling?
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 6:47:50 AM

I would stick to the OCZ Mod 600 and the Gigabyte 770T-UD3P being an ATX mobo requires an ATX mid tower so that Apex mATX case is incompatible
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 12:20:07 PM

And I would also suggest getting more RAM if you plan on running 64 bit Vista.
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 1:06:54 PM

Nope there is nothing wrong with the chip - just use other encoding apps to take full advantage of cores ^^
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3...

In the meantime for the sakes of comparison:

720BE vs the highest end desktop chips out there for gaming





Then we see how how minor L3 hurts the baby tricores i.e the Ranas when placed toe to toe with Heka



The final nail for me comes at GTA4 where a high end OCed dual core is absolutely worked to the ground - so no go for dual cores for me if starting a new build hehe This with some prrety dated quads too!


It becomes apparent that at $76 and with this architecture being by far the most clockable chips AMD has put out EVER the Rana X3 425 is an outstanding entry level gaming chip hehe If you could afford it the 620 Propus for the budget end king :p 
m
0
l
!