Can any ram chip be compatible with any computer?

Neurontech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
My sister and her boyfriend helped me out and build a cheap but good computer for only $400 so I could run flash. The computer freezes for periods of 5-7 minutes occasionally and when I use flash and am working on a big project, flash goes a 10th of the normal speed and crashes every 5 minutes. It made me develop the habit of saving constantly, which is good, but still.....sooo slow. I found a solution to the problem online and it said to get more RAM. I searched newegg and found just what I need...or so I think. Basically my question is: Is any ram chip compatible with any computer?

Here is my comp specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/28/09 12:24:25 Ver: 12.01
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 425 Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 1259MB used, 6929MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Neurontech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I'm not quite sure. I'm not much of a computer expert as you may very well have guessed. All I know is there is ASUS icons all over items on the mother board and directly on the motherboard in the center of it. Also, my sister put 2 stickers on the upper left hand corner. One says: ADM Athlon II, and the other says: Powered by ASUS. Does this help at all?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Yes, Asus is a good and popular motherboard (and other components) brand.

Here's what you need to do:
Download CPU-Z here: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.54-setup-en.exe
Run that, and on the top tabs, click "motherboard"
Reply back with manufacturer and model
Then click on "SPD" tab
Reply back with Part number, under that tab.

With this information, we can determine how much ram your motherboard can expand to by its specifications and the amount of slots it has. Also can see what ram you have so you can either buy more of the same kind of ram, or if you need to get different ram all together.

Neurontech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I couldn't find a tab named motherboard, closest thing would be the mainboard tab and the info on it seems like its what you wanted.

Mainboard:

-Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
-Model: M4A78 PLUS

SPD:

-Part number: F2-8500CL5-2GBPK

Also, I checked inside and I found what looks like the ram cartridges I have seen online. I have 2 of the same cartridge and it looks like 2 open slots. They are G.Skull (the ram cartridges I was going to get). Now I just need to know what I can/should get.

Also, one last thing. Will the RAM compatible with my current motherboard be compatible with my possible new motherboard? Here is a link to what I might get in the somewhat far (3-6months) future: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131392

Also, yet another question since I have too much free time searching Newegg. What is better generally, Intel or ADM for motherboards, processors, and such?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
AMD= more bang for your buck most of the time, where at the moment Intel's fastest processers might be a bit faster than AMD's

The motherboard you're looking at on buying in 3-6 months will not be compatible with DDR2 ram which is what your current system needs. The new motherboard is DDR3 only.

Your motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131381
Your ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

Your ram are 1gb sticks, they come 2 at a time when ordered, and it appears you have 4 sticks in your system now. Verify that..

If that is the case, then you'll need to replace the ram all together with bigger sticks since you dont have any slots left.

These are 2gb sticks, 2 per order
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

You need DDR2 ram 8500, (1066mhz) and you have 4 slots (currently all filled with 1gb sticks)

Hope that helps :)

Neurontech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Ok, I figured this one out by reading other forums. The product number switches from F2-8500CL5-4GBPK to
F2-8500CL5-2GBPK per stick. There was confusion like this before. Lucky I came across it. :D

Also, If your right about that RAM problem, Say I buy it now. Would the difference between what I have and the new motherboard be noticeable at all?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
There will be a difference in DDR3 vs DDR2

Personally, I'd just keep going like you are, and wait till you have the DDR3 motherboard. That way instead of paying $100-$200 for DDR2, and then 3-6 months from now paying the same thing for DDR3, you wouldnt have wasted money on what will be obsolete when you are trying to save for a better board.

6gb of DDR3 might be ideal for you, and some of the best DDR3 on the market is only $150-$230 and considering its 6gb's at that price and not 4, its basically the same price for better stuff since the new board can support it.

Neurontech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Bit late for that....already bought it......But no huge loss. I got the ram I needed for $100. Computer wise, thats not much. Plus, with the new ram, I think I can pull out a few years. I got new speakers, keyboard, and mouse to replace my prehistoric equipment from XP. Still using the old monitor though. Its a bit blurry compared to up date monitors, but it lasts, its durable, and I can draw on it with no damage to the screen. That was not a intentional function of the screen, but for a artist (me), thats very helpful. Thanks for your help thus far. Any other help I would need probably would not involve RAM so posting it here would not be relevant.