Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for max overclock of my reference GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970

Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2012 7:54:33 PM

I am looking for help with overclocking the crap out of my reference 7970 HD. Right now, it's running pretty stable at 1125/1575 on 1.112V (stock voltage). I am looking to get a maximum possible overclock with it, but keep it running in acceptable temperatures. I am not looking to buy any water cooling or aftermarket air cooler, I will keep it in reference design.

If I won't be able to overclock it to the good speeds, I will just sell it and get some aftermarket 680 GTX.

What is the best way to overclock 7970? In what increments should I be increasing voltage and frequencies? What program are best for testing overclocking stability of GPUs?

More about : max overclock reference gigabyte radeon 7970

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 2:53:16 PM

Hi Veirtimid,

Most 7970s will go past 1125, even reference designs. You just have to give it a little more juice. I use Sapphire Trixx mainly because my card is Sapphire, but Afterburner is another good program.

The best way to overclock a 7970 is the same as every other card. Incrementally increase core clock until you get failure, and then incrementally increase voltage. Rinse and repeat until you are at the max thermal limit you are comfortable with (Testing with Furmark or Kombustor or similar) Leave mem clock alone until you have reached your highest core clock.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 11:27:48 PM

Veirtimid said:
I am looking for help with overclocking the crap out of my reference 7970 HD. Right now, it's running pretty stable at 1125/1575 on 1.112V (stock voltage). I am looking to get a maximum possible overclock with it, but keep it running in acceptable temperatures. I am not looking to buy any water cooling or aftermarket air cooler, I will keep it in reference design.

If I won't be able to overclock it to the good speeds, I will just sell it and get some aftermarket 680 GTX.

What is the best way to overclock 7970? In what increments should I be increasing voltage and frequencies? What program are best for testing overclocking stability of GPUs?

Blade's response is pretty spot on, but I'd like to add. Start with the core clock and memory; once they've both reached peak then adjust your voltage. But also make sure you slide your power ratio all the way. Once you've done that you can start overclocking further. To save you the hassle, 1.3 mV is usually the safest voltage before people run into driver related issues.

You may want to try 1250 to 1330 core clock; 1600 to 1875 memory clock at the 1.3 mV range. That should give you a solid overclock with relatively low temperatures. Anything above those, will require fine tuning like Blade stated.
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2012 12:34:12 AM

Best answer selected by Veirtimid.
m
l
October 28, 2012 9:02:06 AM

If i get it right , higher core Voltage add stability to the card .....?
m
l
!