How to Convert RAW External HDD to NTFS or How to Format RAW Drive ?

hingoom

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello,
I have External HDD 1.5TB and due to unknown reason i could not read file from it. I tried to format it and due to taking many days i stopped it and now it shows RAW HDD. I want to make it working anyway.

Oh, dear. The files that were on it are probably lost.

Other than that, it sounds like the drive is _broken_ and you need a new one. You can always
1) Remove it from the external case and attach it to the motherboard directly.
2) Use Disk Manager to erase any partitions and re-initialize the drive.
3) Use Disk Manager to create one big partition.
4) Use Disk Manager to format said partition

I'm afraid that the possibility of recovering your data went out the window when you formatted it. Still conceivable and, if you want that data, don't do steps 2-4 above. You can always download the manufacturer's diagnostics and run diagnostics on the drive, to see if it tests clean or broken.

hingoom

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Thanx WyomingKnot,

Disk format is taking quite long time and progress bar (in %) is not moving beyond 1% after waiting even more then 24 hours. I don't understand what to do now.

Please guide me.

Thanx

rahulkadukar

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
If you are good with Linux, you could try partitioning it with any of the Linux builds, Ubuntu and Fedora both have a good GUI based partitioning tool. I have found that Linux systems are better than Windows systems when it comes to partitioning.

rawjiushini

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
RAW drive can be caused by many possibles reasons. But no matter what caused the consequence, you have to forma it, for raw file or drive can not work under the windows.
But, if you still want to get out the data there, you can take a recovery program to have a try, such as Recuva, PC Inspector, iCare Data Recovery Free, and Easeus Data Recovery Wizard Free, etc. But i am not sure you can recover them all back after reading your description.
Don't give up!
You still have to chance, just have a try!

vinay_vishesh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

Agree with rawjiushini, download easeus data recovery for free, and recover data u want, then format the disk.
this thing happens when u disconnect drive abruptly..i mean by not using safely remove option..
u can download free software from here http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7948445/EASEUS_Data_Recovery_Wizard_Professional_5.6.5_Portable-TeamGBZ

its a torrent file, u need a torrent software to download it,, but it works nicely

loeey33

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013

Yes! You are right! The RAW drive data absolutely could be recovered at the aid of a right recovery tool before the format.
As a matter of fact, last month, my WD 2Tb drive also strangely became RAW and inaccessible. However, it had saved my homework and pitifully forgot to back up it. What an unlucky girl! But, fortunately, I finally found this thread and tried the iCare recovery freeware. Now, I have recovered all my data back.
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!