Sign in with
Your question

Wireless network one laptop disables host computer

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 6, 2010 10:24:00 PM

I have a wirelss network which is accessed by 2 laptops running vista, one laptop running W7 and the host desktop runs W7.

All has worked well until recently, it appears when one of the Vista laptops is accessing the network no problems if the host is turned off, if the vista is accessing the network and I turn on the host compouter , the host is unable to access the network. All computers have different IP addresses and aceess to the network is by mac address.
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2010 2:05:49 AM

You keep referring to "host". Are you not using a router? Host suggests to me you may be using one of your PCs to host your gateway, iow, as a router for the other desktops/laptops, perhaps using ICS.

I just need to know because it's an important detail. In most instances you avoid a lot of potential problems by using a dedicated/standalone router rather than hosting your own gateway.
m
l
March 7, 2010 3:52:06 AM

eibgrad said:
You keep referring to "host". Are you not using a router? Host suggests to me you may be using one of your PCs to host your gateway, iow, as a router for the other desktops/laptops, perhaps using ICS.

I just need to know because it's an important detail. In most instances you avoid a lot of potential problems by using a dedicated/standalone router rather than hosting your own gateway.

Sorry, NO i have a dedicated modem/router, I mean my desktop when I mention "host' as it is the main computer that I configured the router on
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2010 4:02:51 AM

So is this a problem w/ wireless connections? Wired? Both? Doesn't matter? You only mention "access" without any real indication.

m
l
March 7, 2010 4:12:34 AM

The problem exists with wireless connection, I have not tried a wired connection. The conflict appears to be that once the suspect laptop connects to the internet via the wireless network it creates a situation after about 5 minutes that my desktop loses it's internet connection. I have not had the suspect laptop switched on for a few hours and everything is ok. The suspect laptop only interferes with the desktop, all 3 other laptops can access the internet, two of the laptops and my desktop can access the i/net, but if the suspect laptop tries to connect after the other 2 laptops and desktop are accessing the i/net the desktop and suspect laptop lose the i/net comnnection
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2010 4:25:43 AM

It would be interesting to see what happens w/ wired-only connections. Shutdown all the other machines except the one desktop and one laptop that seem to be having this problem over wireless and switch them both to wire. If the problem persists, then turn OFF the wireless radio of the router and test one more time.

In all likelihood it is a wireless problem, but wireless can be a bear to resolve sometimes and I'd hate to waste time chasing down wireless issues only to find out later wireless is irrelevant, wired is no better. Which would then suggest it's a more general problem w/ the router.
m
l
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2010 4:44:13 AM

P.S. Let's also keep the problem confined to the simplest case. As of now we have the desktop and several laptops, one of which seems to be the instigator. But it’s going to help tremendously if we can define the absolute simplest problem scenario and resolve it. Presumably all the complexities involving the other laptops (some continuing to work, some not) are just innocent victims.

So is it safe to say that if the desktop is using wireless and is the ONLY machine running (all other machines are OFF), it works fine. But as soon as that one suspect laptop is added to the mix and is also running over wireless, it eventually kills the desktop's wireless connection. And does the laptop continue to work, become intermittent, or eventually lose it connection as well?

m
l
March 7, 2010 4:57:01 AM

I will try the wired options tomorrow (monday my time), have to find some cables?

If the desktop is running and connected to i/net, and the suspect laptop turns on after this and then tries to connect to i/net all is ok for 5 minutes or so , then both suspect laptop and desktop lose the connection.

I have checked that all machines have individual and unique IP addresses and have checked that the Mac addresses are entered correctly, however all machines can connect any way ,so I think that rules out mac addresses, however i may try disbaling that security measure and allow all and any to connect and see what happens.

The suspect laptop has worked well in the network over the last 12 months, it is only since Saturday I have had the problem.

On Saturday when I turned on the Desktop for the first time that day, Windows asked to start in safe mode / normal mode etc, however there was nothing of any significance happening to the desktop on the previous night and I thought it shut down ok.
m
l
!