Mobo Issue or not?

thatoddkid

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Hi I need a little help. I just built a comp but I've been having some trouble, and I suspect its the Mobo, but I'm not completely sure. While trying to install Windows 7, the computer kept freezing at various points during the installation, and when I finally got it installed (after a hundred tries) sometimes it freezes at the "Starting Windows" screen, or if I make it into windows (1/10 tries) and have to restart or shut down, it freezes up at that screen.

Here's a link to the parts I got: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14783706

Mobo: Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
RAM: OCZ DDR3 1333MHz 7-7-7 2GB (2 x1GB)

Also, I managed to pull some specs from from the software that came with the mobo:

Motherboard
Manufacturer
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name
M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
Version
Rev 1.xx

BIOS
Vendor
American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version
BIOS Release Date
03/12/2010
BIOS ROM Size
2048 KBytes

CPU
Socket Designation
AM3
Manufacturer
AMD
Version
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor
Supported Voltage
1.5 v
External Clock
200 MHz
Max Speed
3200 MHz
Current Speed
3467 MHz

Memory
Socket Designation
DIMM0
Current Speed
533 MHz
Memory Type
Other
Installed Size
1024 MBytes

Socket Designation
DIMM1
Current Speed
533 MHz
Memory Type
Other
Installed Size
1024 MBytes

The CPU is running too fast (didn't set up overclocking) and the RAM is too slow. I'm not sure if that means they are the problems or if the mobo is screwing them up. This is my first computer, so I need alot of help. I was also advised by a friend to just RMA everything just to be safe. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
It is only detecting 1 of the 2 sticks of ram, thats the problem. (if you have 2gb of ram installed) Try to boot it with 1 stick of ram at a time and see if its the memory, or if its the dimm slot. Or try putting the ram into the other slots.

thatoddkid

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks alot for the tip! I switched the 2 sticks of ram to the other slots and it did reduce freezing, but it still happens when windows is installing updates or during logon/logoff sometimes, etc. I checked the log like before and the values are the same, just that the values are in the other 2 dimm slots. It becomes non-responsive and some of the pixels scatter when it freezes.

Does this mean that the main issues is with the Mobo? Would I have to RMA it anyway, since there seems to be an issue with the firs set of DIMM slots?

Sorry for the vague questions.