Cooling PC in the Desk.

konaras

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hello everyone. This will be yet another cooling pc question. :ange:

I have a dilemma. Just recently we have bought a new desk which has a PC storage unit on the side. So it all looks nice and tidy but ,as you already might have guessed, it reaches extreme temperatures inside there because there is very little ventilation. As it is new furniture, cutting any part of the front door, side, or any other visible part, was ruled out of question at once. (by my :love: wife :non: ). There is not much room behind it either. So the only option left is to provide air circulation from underneath it. It is possible because the whole unit strands on ~13cm feet. I could cut out a bottom board to fit a few fans in it. I could even cut the bottom of the case to allow direct intake (see pictures below). The question is what is the best way to position them and which way should they blow? And if this would work at all or it might just recirculate the same hot air as both intake and out-take are on the bottom and relatively close to each other. :pt1cable: I searched all over the web but found nothing on this unusual matter. I will appreciate any advice.

That's the desk: http://i48.tinypic.com/24bozo9.jpg
Just a quick draft of one of the ideas http://i47.tinypic.com/15o7yhw.png hope it makes sense to you all. :heink:
And I've already bought two of them "CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm" http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=4355

Solution
You don't need as industrial-level materials as I used since you don't have one of the heaviest cases ever.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

It...
Why you not convince your wife that if you put your tower OUTSIDE, it will be better for both the desk and the computer?

YOu don't have to put it on the floor, but on a pedestal (or attach a nice-looking board as an extension to the desk' bottom). That way, you can mount it either way, and have a lot of storage space as well

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Ive done exactly this! AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

I bought a bamboo bath mat (bars are approximately 1" with 1" spaces in between) at world market. Its designed for a person to stand on, so is strong enough. I then cut it to size with a jigsaw and installed in the bottom of my EXACT SAME IKEA Hemmes desk. It doesn't fix all the heat problems, but helps a lot-- I assume that if fans were added it would be great.\

Edit- is the back against the wall? that can be opened up too..

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
You don't need as industrial-level materials as I used since you don't have one of the heaviest cases ever.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

It would be easy to screw some fans into the wooden lattice. They should blow up I would think.

Too bad you picked the wrong kind of post to best answer me :( !

p.s. in the interim leaving the door open while gaming/etc helps a lot.

Solution

Ceara

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
deadlockedworld -- that's fantastic, I love it! I've modded my desk a bit, but I'd like to do the bottom as you have. Where did you get the wood lattice?

Although, unfortunately, my desk doesn't sit up on legs. The cabinet floor is a few inches off the ground, however the outer pedestal goes to the floor. So maybe it wouldn't work as well as yours. Though the back side of the pedestal is open, that's also where the hot air goes.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Thanks! The lattice came from World Market - it was a $19 "bath mat". You might find some large slow case fans to use directly on the desk for airflow?