Will I need a better Cooling system to overclock

Edge15

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Okay, so I'm planning on ordering http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/ but not sure if i should go with the liquid cooling for the cpu or get a excellent fan(s). Which would be better, and my max budget would be $1250.

P.S. If i overclock is what im asking, although if you think ill need liquid cooling for the i7 without overclock please say so!

Solution
it all really depends on what type of overclock.

Lets say the average life-span of a CPU is 8 years @ stock speed/voltage

Overclocking will reduce that time depending on the overclock/voltage, so extreme overclock/high voltage = 4 years, moderate OC/moderate voltage = 6 years, light or no OC/no voltage increase = 8 years life-span of CPU.

Air cooling offers heat resistance which helps in keeping the CPU @ stable temps with moderate/high OC/voltage.

Liquid cooling offers more heat resistance which helps in keeping the CPU @ better than stable temps but is more of a pain to maintain and more complex overall installation.

The answer would be based on how long you wish to keep the i7 for and what type of overclocking you wish to...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
it all really depends on what type of overclock.

Lets say the average life-span of a CPU is 8 years @ stock speed/voltage

Overclocking will reduce that time depending on the overclock/voltage, so extreme overclock/high voltage = 4 years, moderate OC/moderate voltage = 6 years, light or no OC/no voltage increase = 8 years life-span of CPU.

Air cooling offers heat resistance which helps in keeping the CPU @ stable temps with moderate/high OC/voltage.

Liquid cooling offers more heat resistance which helps in keeping the CPU @ better than stable temps but is more of a pain to maintain and more complex overall installation.

The answer would be based on how long you wish to keep the i7 for and what type of overclocking you wish to achieve.

Solution