Sign in with
Your question

Help with a Water cooling kit

Last response: in Overclocking
May 15, 2012 11:07:19 PM

Hi

I'm very new to water cooling and hoping for some advice and suggestions on the kit I've pulled together. my main aim is to make my computer a cooler and hopefully quieter as at the moment it seems to run hot enough to fry an egg off it and is quite loud it has 3 case fans that like to run at full tilt
to start off with this is my current rig is

AMD Phenom 2 x4 965 Oc'd 4GHz
16Gb Corsair DDR 3 667MHz (a lot but was on sale :)  )
Zotac Nvidia GeForce 470GTX 1.2GB
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-870A-UD3
Antec Case not 100% sure which as i've had it a long time and can't find it on the internet anymore

below is the kit i've priced up on overclockers.co.uk

1x XSPCX2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump (£58.98)
1x XSPC RayStorm CPU/APU WaterBlock (AMD) (£49.98)
1x XSPC Rasa CPU AMD AM3 Kit (Black) (£6.98)
1x XSPC RS240 120mm Radiator - Black (£38.99)
1x EK-VGA Supreme HF - Nickel Acetal (£38.99)
2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1150 RPM - 3 Pin (£25.96)
1x Mayhems X1 UV Oil Black Premixed Watercooling Fluid 1L (£7.99)
2x XSPC HighFlex Hose 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 19/12.7mm, 2m, Clear (£13.96)
8x EK 12mm (1/2") G1/4 High-Flow Barb Fitting (£23.68)
8x PrimoChill Black Steel Spring Clips - 1/2" (£5.60)

Total cost inc shipping(£10) £291.62

this seems quite expensive but my thinking is in the long term as my computer evolves I'd only really need to change the CPU and VGA block on a semi-regular basis. so would pay off in the longer term

Have I missed anything? or are there better suggestions as to the parts I've picked.

In terms of budget Ideally I don't want to spend a huge amount more however if it's really worth it then i could stretch to £350

I looked at the kits available and they only ever seem to do the CPU or don't support my Graphics card plus from reviews i've read the use non standard part which would make it hard to expand at a later date.

Thank you for any help and advice you all can give

More about : water cooling kit

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 3:02:56 AM

Flagging for update in the morning when I get home
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 4:39:57 AM

at least one more rad for this build would be a good upgrade
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 5:53:39 AM

Check out the Rx360 kit, add an EK supreme HF Vga copper block to it (you'll need two extra fittings and some ramsinks for this) and you're good to go,
or at least swap the rad for either an EX or RX 360, The Rs series isn't a top performer anyhow
and the nickel blocks from EK are known to cause problems get the copper version
lose the fluid/coolant and just use plain distilled water from the chemist with a silver killcoil
You'll want more than two fans on it as well, Xspc do their own brand on their website, get the 2k Rpm ones and turn them down, Xspc radiators love slower fans so you can load up and its still quiet
Post a pic of your case, someone will be able to id it for you
Is this your card btw?
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1315/1/
if so you may want to look at an extra rad as Toolmaker said, they are hot cards kicking out at least 220w, add your 125w for the 965 and even an RX360 is going to struggle keeping things very cool, an extra 240 would add nice headroom though, and yes, its a non reference card so fullcover blocks may not be available, the universal blocks with Ramsinks are your best option anyway as you can transfer those to your upgraded cards in the future
kits are designed for Cpu cooling, but you can always expand upon them, its just knowing what/how to go about it,
read through the sticky up top of the section for some more tips, but you seem to have researched a bit already and have some solid choices there
what other sites have you checked for parts? or just looked on OCuk?
Moto
May 17, 2012 8:34:16 PM

thanks for the detailed info the link you provided is my graphics card. just out of interest would is it better to have a RX360 and a 240 or could i get away with just the EX480 (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC...)

I've only looked at OCuk as i couldn't think of anywhere else to go as ebuyers choice isn't exactly big so i'm open to suggestions.

I was thinking about the case and looking at additional items you've both suggested I'm just going to get a new one as I've had this one for awhile and fancy a change. with that in mind is it worth getting the case specifically designed for water cooling or not to bother? my other aim is to have the rad on outside of my comp more for air flow around it than anything else.

May 17, 2012 8:43:38 PM

ok for some reason i can't edit messages

but... found my case by accident its a Xigmatek Midgard Midi Tower Case - Black [CPC-T55DB-U01]
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 9:23:43 PM

I did mean to link some Uk wetsites but got distracted,
Thewatercoolingshop.co.uk
Specialtech.co.uk
Dabs.co.uk
Xspc.co.uk
Ukwatercooling.co.uk
C&Ccentral.co.uk
Theres other but I'm working from memory, not at home on the Pc where my bookmarks are :-)
And depending on your overclocking, the 480 may not be enough, I'd say 360 plus a 240 is definitely the right plan there
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 9:27:50 PM

Missed the new case part sorry, I'll look at that in the morning if you have a budget for it?
External mount rads are cool, or even a radiator box....
Moto
May 17, 2012 9:45:15 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
I like the cube case for water cooling lots of choices for different types of radiators even the Phobya XTREME Nova 1080 Radiator will fit on top with a few mods to the case.
http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html

thats a beast of a case annoyingly i don't have the space for a case that size i can high but not wide!!
May 17, 2012 9:57:41 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I did mean to link some Uk wetsites but got distracted,
Thewatercoolingshop.co.uk
Specialtech.co.uk
Dabs.co.uk
Xspc.co.uk
Ukwatercooling.co.uk
C&Ccentral.co.uk
Theres other but I'm working from memory, not at home on the Pc where my bookmarks are :-)
And depending on your overclocking, the 480 may not be enough, I'd say 360 plus a 240 is definitely the right plan there
Moto

Thanks for the links I'll have a mooch around and as for the case I couldn't really go over £100 for it which I have a feeling may severely restrict my options since from experience most cases below £40 are a poorly built. but this is a very low priority my main interests is the water cooling side.

in terms of my over-clocking it's never going to be extreme like with my CPU it's OC'd to 4GHz from 3GHz the main reason for going down this route is one for having a quieter computer and secondly a lot cooler PC.

I'll take your advice then and go with the 360 plus 240 and I think for the time being I'll get some external mounts and longer tubing looking at the dimensions and with a little hacking at the case I think the 240 could fit inside and the 360 on top.

thank you both for your advice its been really helpful. just now need to sort the money out and purchase the goods.

just one one thought in term of loop (hope thats the right term!) would it be better to go pump/res combo then cpu 240 rad GPU then 360 rad then back to pum/res
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 10:19:49 PM

If you want quiet and cool but still have performance, build a clone of my build :-)
Its in a modded In Win Dragon Rider, on top of an external radbox,
They are about £90 these days but I plan on having mine for a couple of years yet
Wait till you decide on a case before buying rads, I like to look at the case and then I can see how stuff will/won't fit in there :-)
Moto
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 10:23:40 PM

And the loop order doesn't really matter too much, in a normal set up the res should be just before the pump, but with a respump combo its irrelevant, sticky has more info on thermal equilibrium though, I'm at my nightshift atm with no tabbed browsing :-)
Moto
May 18, 2012 7:43:08 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
If you want quiet and cool but still have performance, build a clone of my build :-)
They are about £90 these days but I plan on having mine for a couple of years yet
Wait till you decide on a case before buying rads, I like to look at the case and then I can see how stuff will/won't fit in there :-)
Moto

that seems like a sensible idea I have been reading through the sticky's and various other threads to get an idea of the best set-up and I did come across your one the one called Psycho Rider if memory serves me right which which looked pretty cool. must have missed the bit about thermal equilibrium and have another look through and read up more :) 
May 18, 2012 7:43:23 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

that seems like a sensible idea I have been reading through the sticky's and various other threads to get an idea of the best set-up and I did come across your one the one called Psycho Rider if memory serves me right which which looked pretty cool. must have missed the bit about thermal equilibrium and have another look through and read up more :) 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 7:58:45 AM

Glad you like it man :) 
it is a oneoff build and its inspired a couple of people to do things differently which I think is very cool,
Do you like the case enough to consider it, or are we still looking?
check the W/c and homebuild Galleries if you haven't already to scope out some nice cases (and maybe 'borrow' some ideas hehe)
Moto
May 18, 2012 8:09:02 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
it is a oneoff build and its inspired a couple of people to do things differently which I think is very cool,
check the W/c and homebuild Galleries if you haven't already to scope out some nice cases (and maybe 'borrow' some ideas hehe)
Moto

I gotta say I am liking the case lots of space and looks really cool as well and has made it on to the list as mine has nowhere near the versatility and would be cramped. I do have to admit the creativity this community has is quite astonishing and they are giving me some hopefully great ideas as what to do.
May 18, 2012 8:09:11 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Moto

I gotta say I am liking the case lots of space and looks really cool as well and has made it on to the list as mine has nowhere near the versatility and would be cramped. I do have to admit the creativity this community has is quite astonishing and they are giving me some hopefully great ideas as what to do.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 8:18:27 AM

I hope you've checked it out 'normal' as well though
:) 
post the rest of the list to give us an idea of your tastes though
and at the moment we have one guy who is building a W/c rig into a 7x7x38 inch slot on his desk, w.i.p. but looking very promising if we can pull it off
Moto
May 18, 2012 5:13:38 PM

That was the first thing i did and i like the case unmodded just as much :) 

This is my revised list

1x XSPCX2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump
1x XSPC RayStorm CPU/APU WaterBlock (AMD)
3x XSPC HighFlex Hose 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 19/12.7mm, 2m, Black (knowing what I'm like I'd rather have too much!)
1x Mayhems Biocide 10ml With PH Testing Kit
10x EK 12mm (1/2" ) G1/4 High-Flow Barb Fitting
10x PrimoChill Black Steel Spring Clips - 1/2"
1x XSPC RayStorm GPU
1x Mayhems Ultra Pure H20 Watercooling Fluid 1L (depending on if my chemist has any in-stock I'll just get pure distilled water)
1x XSPC RX240 120mm Radiator - Black
1x XSPC RX360 120mm Radiator - Black
5x Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1200RPM Slipstream 120mm Fan
1x AeroCool F6XT 6-Channel Fan Controller

as for case it going to be
In-Win Dragon Rider Big Tower Case
or
Thermaltake Overseer XR-I Full Tower Windowed Case - Black
I'm kinda torn now

total cost £553.91 (hmmm might take a couple of months to collect that money :) )

this will cost a small fortune but worth it i think as it'll be fun and last me a fair old while!

I took all of this off over clockers but I'm going to shop around to see if i can get it cheaper

My main plan is to have the RX360 across the top and the RX240 inside the case if it fits

after all of this i might even end up seeing how far I can push my rig

Think that covers everything
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 5:44:57 PM

Good to see you've been busy there :) 

Drop the mayhem ultra pure stuff, stick to distilled and killcoil/Ptnuke
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nesteq-fanmax-8-channel-...
30w per channel controller,
and check out the EK HF Supreme copper version, bout £38,
it may cost a small fortune for now, but later you will want to expand hehe :p 
Moto
!