Sign in with
Your question

PCIe x1 vs. PCIe x16

Last response: in Motherboards
June 13, 2010 2:42:01 AM

I'm upgrading my computer and I'm trying to find a motherboard where I actually have physical access to the PCIe x1 slots. I've considering getting the Asus P6X58D-E or the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, but after going into a store and physically inspecting the boards, I don't think either of them will fit my PCIe x1 Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card. I really need this card for work I do. Does anyone know if I can plug the card into one of the PCIe x16 slots? I know the PCI Express specs say that technically it's possible, but I've heard that some motherboards may or may not allow you do it with your cards. I'd hate to buy and have to RMA equipment if I can avoid it. Thanks!

More about : pcie pcie x16

June 13, 2010 3:17:34 AM

I've heard you can, but when I tried to use my tv tuner card in an x16 2.0 slot, it didn't work... but it might work in an x16 1.0 slot... I'm not sure... it'd be better if you can just get a usable x1 slot. And by the way, welcome to the forum!
m
l
June 13, 2010 11:08:02 AM

Thanks for the help! After remeasuring and such, I'm heading back to the store today to check out a few more boards. Hopefully something will work!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 13, 2010 3:26:27 PM

Should work in a PCIe x16 slot, they're backward compatible. My Asus Xonar DX works.
m
l
June 20, 2010 11:58:25 AM

I actually received an email response from Gigabyte after asking them last week, and they said that technically using the PCIe x8 slot should work, but it depends on the compatibility of the sound card I want to use in addition to the motherboard. Apparently, it depends on both components.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 20, 2010 1:45:01 PM

Then ask the guys at Creative.
m
l
!