Status
Not open for further replies.

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Should I install video games on C drive (the OS drive) or D drive?
And if I filled the drive with games, will this slow down the drive (I will defrag it)?

It all depends on the size/speed of your OS drive. If you have a small SSD OS drive, than I'd recommend using the bigger drive. If you have a fairly large size OS drive and have plenty of room than it would be fine also. If you want to keep all of your games on the D: drive and it's about the same as your OS drive, than that would work too.

If you fill up a mechanical (regular HD, not SSD) HD, than it'll slow things down, even if you defrag it. If you can give us some more information about what kind of drives and what size they are, it would help us help you better.

Well unless he has a 1 TB "C:" drive and a 40 gb "D:" drive, but we don't know his configuration. Most people have a bigger "D:" drive, but I'm not gonna assume this until we hear back from the OP.

Its all up to you! Defragging wont harm the games in anyway. If you C drive is big then its should not be a problem. Normal practice is to have the C drive smaller than other drives. That is why people store games/apps on other drives!

assassin123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

so if he has itb drive c then sure he can install it but what a fool guy he is he choose 40 gb for gaming

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Is the D: drive another actual physical drive or just a partition of 1 drive? I try to keep games on a different physical drive. Don't know if it makes any difference, I have plenty of HDD space on both.

Many people dont even have a D drive! Can you beat that?

No one decides 40GB for gaming. May some guy decided C drive is going to be his gaming drive and 40GB just for songs! Partitions and drive size are based on people choices and whims... you just cant call them fools!

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Generally OS/Programs in C:, games in D:.

Even if I have 1 HDD partitioned into C: & D:, or 2 separate SSD + HDD or HDD + HDD, the same applies.

Call it superstition, I like to keep OS/Program drive as "clean" as possible.

assassin123

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

oky man sorry for for misbehaveior

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Well, I've read your thoughts, and I think am gonna go with D: for gaming, and keep C: for OS and softwares. I'll just delete games as soon as am done with 'em.
Thank you for the fast reply!

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I think you should put your game in d drive, the c drive only for OS and some SP update data, if you put all program in system partition, it is really easy to make your system partition running out of space. and this is easy to make your system slowly down.

I'm just saying, we don't know what the configuration the OP has. When we hear back from the OP on what configuration that he has, than we can assist him with his question better. Like stated before, most people don't even have a D: drive (2nd hard drive), so we'll see. More than likely the D: drive is the best option, but I'm not going to assume anything at this point. I've seen too many fool things happen with setups over the years, so I'm reserving any judgement until we get some more information.

Muradw2: What is the size/type of your C: & D: drives, out of curiosity?

muradw2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Both are Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM.
They both will assist me, well, until I lose my gaming addiction :(

So either drive will do, but the D: drive makes the most sense. If you need to format your OS for whatever reason, all that you'd lose is your OS and whatever you put on the C: drive. This way you can re-install the OS on the C: drive and have minimal down time.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
yeah he is right if you install it in c then you will loose all your savegames and other data

Even if he installs games to D: drive, saved games are usually stored in My Documents or My Games folder in Windows in C: anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.