New SATA drive with old IDE

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Optical Media
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 3, 2011 11:53:53 AM

Hey, I have an IDE optical drive connected w/ an IDE hdd. I have removed the IDE hdd and want to install a fresh SATA hdd by booting my win7 disc from my (IDE) optical drive. Is this possible?

More about : sata drive ide

a c 324 G Storage
November 3, 2011 12:04:26 PM

Yes it is. A couple of points
1) IDE supports two devices on a cable, one configured as Primary and one as Secondary (this used to be Master and Slave, but a court in California ruled that this language was not permissible). When you remove the IDE HDD, you have to make sure that the optical drive is set to Primary; this is usually done with a jumper and less often determined by the actual position on the cable.

2) The Win7 drive has to be a full version. If it's the manufacturer's recovery disk it may not work.

You have already hit one one of the most important things: When you install to the SATA drive, the IDE drive must be disconnected. I would recommend setting the SATA controller to AHCI mode instead of the default IDE mode before doing the install; it will make your life easier when you upgrade to an SSD.
November 3, 2011 2:25:43 PM

Thanks, this answers everything. However, is it possible that an IDE optical drive and IDE hdd would run if the op drive was using the master IDE connection? I know this question is irrelevant to the topic but I'm psure that my old hdd was the slave connection when I used it..
a c 324 G Storage
November 3, 2011 4:24:16 PM

Yes, the system can run off the master or slave device just fine. It's just how the bus handles them (plus some issues that don't really matter any more; the master got a little priority).
!