Sign in with
Your question

Do I NEED to Upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2009 2:28:16 AM

I'm a latest technology nut, but I also try to be smart with my money. I've been reading a lot about the core i7 processor, the new video cards, the latest in motherboards, and I start to salivate. But on the practical side, I'm wondering if what I have is still good enough to play the latest and greatest on mostly maxed out settings (haven't bought a game since Oblivion/Lord of the Rings Online). Here's what I have - is there a game that can slow me down yet? Specs should be in the sig. By the way, I still have a 19" Viewsonic CRT monitor because you can't beat the picture. Max res is 1600x1200

More about : upgrade

December 2, 2009 3:12:58 AM

There are a few games that i'm sure would slow you down hehe. Crysis is the most obvious example but supreme commander, empire total war, and many other games are quite demanding as well.

The answer really depends on you. If you are happy with your frame rates and graphic settings you accomplish then, why upgrade?

If you plan on getting a new monitor with a higher resolution and/or come across games that start slowing you down, upgrade. Your CPU is still pretty decent for gaming and your GPU, even aged, is still pretty decent to todays standards (even though it's about 1/4th the performance of the 5870 hehe).

So yeah, up to you.
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2009 12:18:49 PM

I agree. The only reasons to upgrade would be if you aren't happy with tthe current performance, if performance won't be good for something coming out soon, or if you want to do something now that you computer can't handle.

If you were about to go out and buy some newer, graphics intense games, I'd buy them first, see if the performance is what you wanted. If not, then upgrade. There's no reason to speculate on something that won't cost you anything more to check first...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 2, 2009 2:41:02 PM

Raidur said:
The answer really depends on you. If you are happy with your frame rates and graphic settings you accomplish then, why upgrade?

That's basically what it boils down to. This is not a top-of-the-line machine anymore, but it ought to be serviceable. I'd also say that if you're looking for a cheap way to improve performance in the short term, a little more RAM could help, and overclocking the CPU is always free. :) 

Honestly, if there's nothing out there right now that you want to play but can't, this machine could you another year or two.
m
l
!