How do I upgrade my alienware PSU

lesleydf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I am definitely a noob... so bear with me. I purchased my husband a "middle of road" Alienware Aurora in 08/08... the 750w psu has fried and because I understand it is proprietary, I need an OEM replacement... Where do I find that?

ulysses35

Distinguished
Im 99% sure that the PSU is a standard ATX model - to make sure remove the left hand side panel and you will be able to see the PSU. In most cases this will be situated at the top of the case.

Finding a replacement is easy - however avoid generic or budget brands. Ideally if your budget permits it you would want a Corsair PSU of similar power (watts) to the dead one currently inside your PC.

Dell (aka Alienware) likes to add in proprietary cable connectors on some of their stuff to force you to buy replacement parts from them.

Your PSU should have standard 20 or 24 pin connector, an 8 PIN EPS connector and various other SATA and Molex connectors

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/connectors.php?ProdID=23100

For individual cable pinouts, strat here:

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

When making a selection don't buy a PSU by brand name....just about every vendor who make a good one also makes some crappy ones.

For example,.....

Antec SG or CP series .... cream of the crop - 10.0 performance rating

Antec Earthwatts Series .... decent PSU

Antec Neo series ..... nahhh

The best of the best can be found here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

Check up on others at jonnyguru.com

I'm almost positive that your computer uses a standard ATX PSU. A Corsair is a great choice, as is an Antec Signature series, and several others (seasonic is nice too). Look at jonnyguru.com for good, thorough reviews to determine if a PSU is any good.

welshmousepk

Distinguished

except corsair.

good advice, but id agree with ulysses that getting a corsair PSU is the best way to go (provided it IS compatible, which i think it should be given thats its an alienware, not a dell branded desktop)

Considering the pc was purchased in August 2008 the power supply should be a standrd atx psu. Its been quite a few years since Dell used proprietary psu's and cables.

Please remove the side panel and take a look at the data label on the psu. Post the brand and model infor so we can figure out what you have. I have several databases I can check.

lesleydf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Thank you all for your help. I have determined that it does use a proprietary unit, which is ridiculously prices and Dell/Alienware wont sell me one without me needing to send the entire unit to them, which then I pay shipping and repair costs in addition to a 279.00 replacement unit. I am annoyed at them, so reluctant to give them any more money.

If I am allowed to list names I am thinking about buying..

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 850W 850W ATX CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

I live in a very small town without a computer repair shop, so I am going this alone. I would like to make this super simple. The current wires going into the Alienware PSU is twenty-four pin... and the unit about says 4x6 pin, can I assume this will accomodate my current wiring... Am I on the right track?

lesleydf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Okay, I was totally confused by the pin situation, apparently it is completely proprietary. Here is a picture of where the pin goes... is there any way other than rewiring the whole thing?

Here is a link that should the back of the unit

http://www.buy.com/prod/alienware-nps-750ab-1-750w-24-pin-atx-psu-w-sata-pcie/q/loc/101/211203553.html[/img]

Well, of course that connector into the PSU itself is proprietary. That doesn't mean the actual motherboard connectors and hard drive connectors (etc, etc) are though. If you bought a standard ATX PSU, you'd want to rewire everything anyways. What does the main power connector attached to the motherboard look like?

Oh, and the description on that page does say "24-pin ATX PSU w/SATA & PCIe", which indicates that it is a standard PSU, not proprietary.

I can't say "best" because there clearly are better PSU's. Corsair makes, I should say sells, a lot of good PSUs(8.5 - 9.5 ratings), and a few great ones....but only the HX series falls into that category and while the HX's do well electrically, they could be quieter. Not a single PSU has yet made the Editor's Choice List at silentpcreview.com though I am expecting that the new Gold Certified HX's which I have seen at the 80 plus site but not yet on the shelves will break that drought.

I am not knocking Corsair.....just making the point that just because it says "Corsair" on it, doesn't mean it's 10.0 .... Corsair has chosen to sell only in the enthusiasts market niche . Other companies have chosen to sell across all market segments .... Antec's SG series or Seasonic X series for example are all 10.0's and every one is on the aforementioned EC list, but Antec / Seasonic also chooses to sell to other market segments where price is the defining characteristic and filling that need doesn't diminish the quality of their SG line. Seasonic, Enermax, Silverstonr and Nexus all have top end models but, like every other manufacturer, not every one is going to be a 10.0

I think the company to watch however is Enermax who has a complete line of Gold Certified PSU's about to hit the streets.