Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel 2500k Voltage @4.5ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
May 16, 2012 4:54:53 PM

Hi guys, I could really use some help.
I've overclocked my 2500k to 4.5ghz and it seemed very stable at 1.3v for weeks.
I ran Prime95 for an hour and LinX for an hour.
I also ran OCCD's power supply test (gpu and cpu simultaniously) for an hour and had no crashes.
I also ran a full windows memory diagnostic with no errors.
However, occasionally when running a game (not reproducable) I will get BSOD with stop error 0x024.
I used the msdbg and saw it related to genuine_intel so just assumed it meant my voltage needed to be upped.
Is it possible that something else would cause this? I have recently installed a new GPU (560 ti 448) and only noticed the BSODs after it was installed, however I wasn't running any games until the card was in my machine so that may be moot.
Since I began getting the BSODs I have upped my voltage to 1.315 and am continuing to up it .005 every time I BSOD.
I would like to know that this is indeed the problem instead of upping my voltage for no reason.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any help you can provide!!!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 16, 2012 9:04:04 PM

Remove the card... and see if the problems still happen.
m
l
May 17, 2012 6:59:17 PM

Run a chkdsk...from what I could dig up the 0x024 error is related to corruption in the NTFS file system. Also did you update the drivers on your new video card?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 3:17:18 AM

please lower the voltage back down.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:08:44 AM

What gpu were you using before? It is possible the power of your new card requires your motherboard to work harder. This could easily effect the stability of your cpu at its prior setting, which was fairly nice and low for 4.5 ghz.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 239 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 9:30:47 AM

afxwinter said:
Hi guys, I could really use some help.
I've overclocked my 2500k to 4.5ghz and it seemed very stable at 1.3v for weeks.
I ran Prime95 for an hour and LinX for an hour.
I also ran OCCD's power supply test (gpu and cpu simultaniously) for an hour and had no crashes.
I also ran a full windows memory diagnostic with no errors.
However, occasionally when running a game (not reproducable) I will get BSOD with stop error 0x024.
I used the msdbg and saw it related to genuine_intel so just assumed it meant my voltage needed to be upped.
Is it possible that something else would cause this? I have recently installed a new GPU (560 ti 448) and only noticed the BSODs after it was installed, however I wasn't running any games until the card was in my machine so that may be moot.
Since I began getting the BSODs I have upped my voltage to 1.315 and am continuing to up it .005 every time I BSOD.
I would like to know that this is indeed the problem instead of upping my voltage for no reason.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any help you can provide!!!

Seems stable and being stable are two completely different things.

My 2500K @ 4.5ghz runs solid at 1.325v with a single GPU, until you give the 2500K the voltage it needs, you'll continue with these problems.

The goal is to run as little voltage as possible but if your 2500K requires 1.325v for 4.5ghz, all your problems will disappear at that voltage, try it and see what happens.
m
l

Best solution

May 18, 2012 12:32:39 PM

I agree with Ryan. Only a few good i5-2500k can reach to 4.5Ghz at 1.325v or lower. Unless you have a faulty graphic card or an overclocked one which requires more voltage, it's your i5k. You need to bump Vcore up some more.
May 18, 2012 4:01:03 PM

RussK1 said:
Remove the card... and see if the problems still happen.

I could try this and run the mobo's GPU if you think it'd make a difference. The only reason I'm hesitant is because the problem is not easy to reproduce. Playing Diablo III however seems to trigger it easier.

johnsonma said:
Run a chkdsk...from what I could dig up the 0x024 error is related to corruption in the NTFS file system. Also did you update the drivers on your new video card?

I did a chkdsk on my c: partition but will also run one on the huge program files partition tonight!

Anonymous said:

You're thinking the voltage isn't suspect?

lemlo said:
What gpu were you using before? It is possible the power of your new card requires your motherboard to work harder. This could easily effect the stability of your cpu at its prior setting, which was fairly nice and low for 4.5 ghz.

I was using a 9800 GT, so probably much less power draw. My PSU is a 520w Corsair HX. It's supposed to be a good quality PSU however I recently used a power supply calculator and with the hardware I'm running I would only have 20-30 watts to spare, and if EVERYTHING was full load it'd go over the 520. I have no other PSU related symptoms though (random reboots)

4Ryan6 said:
Seems stable and being stable are two completely different things.

My 2500K @ 4.5ghz runs solid at 1.325v with a single GPU, until you give the 2500K the voltage it needs, you'll continue with these problems.

The goal is to run as little voltage as possible but if your 2500K requires 1.325v for 4.5ghz, all your problems will disappear at that voltage, try it and see what happens.

I'm going to try using offset mode with my voltage and use a nice OC'ing guide I found to first test my default voltage max stable OC I can do, and work from there.

Sonny73N said:
I agree with Ryan. Only a few good i5-2500k can reach to 4.5Ghz at 1.325v or lower. Unless you have a faulty graphic card or an overclocked one which requires more voltage, it's your i5k. You need to bump Vcore up some more.

I BSOD'd today when loading D3 again so I will try 1.325v just for tonight and begin the troubleshooting tomorrow aft.

Thanks for the responses, I'm now thinking it's remotely possible it's my GPU, maybe my PSU isn't powerful enough, or I need to revisit my voltage settings. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 12:27:45 AM

afxwinter said:
nerde12dijv said:

You're thinking the voltage isn't suspect?

i am thinking you may want to start from scratch; your last good voltage before you realized it may not be that causing an issue.

it seems you are looking at starting your OC over anyhow. i would suggest thinking about doing that w/o your GPU for now until you set it, stress it and it passes. if it gets flonky after putting the GPU back in that may tell ya something . .:) 
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:29:16 AM

Best answer selected by afxwinter.
m
l
!