First Build - Comments/Critism please

Myriddan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I've already purchased most of these parts and would like some constructive criticism about whether I've done a fairly good job or if I should return anything and get something else:

Preferred Shopping Sites: Amazon (no tax, free shipping), TigerDirect (no tax, free shipping on some items), NewEgg (tax, free shipping on some items)

Usage: Gaming, HD Videos, internet

Resolution: 1920x1080

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 ~$120 - $35 rebate = $85
CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66 GHZ ~$280
MOBO: EVGA x58 3-way SLI ~$270 - $20 rebate = $250
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6 GB (3x2 GB) 12800 ~$144 - $10 rebate = $134
HD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB ~$70
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700 Watt ~$82 - $35 rebate = $47
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 275 ~260
Monitor: ASUS VH236H (Haven't bought)

Total (excluding monitor): $1126 - $104 cashback from bing = $1022
Not Needed: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, DVD Burner

Future plans: LCD Monitor (Dual monitor? Using old CRT for now or HDTV), SLI GTX 275, TV Tuner?, Sound Card?, 5.1 Speakers (Logitech x-540), Ethernet Card?, Gaming Mouse (MX518?), Aftermarket Heatsink (Xigmatex dark knight?), case fans?

Comments: I wanted a caviar black instead of green, but the price difference made me go with the green. PSU I would have preferred the Corsair CMPSU 850tx, but again the price difference made me choose elsewhere. Everything else was what I wanted except the monitor which I have yet to procure, a sound system, and a few add ons.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I don't know what the point of this thread is but here we go.

Case
DczTm.png

CPU
DczTm.png

MoBo
q5tEc.png

I guess you don't need 3 PCIe 2.0 x16 (x8) slots, so this would be a more reasonable choice. It's a good board nonetheless.

RAM ?
The RAM you linked isn't available anymore for quite some time.

HD
q5tEc.png

Spinpoint F3

PSU
q5tEc.png

The unit’s build quality was decent but the component selection was certainly questionable and in the end the unit was unable to complete our testing at full power. As such at $104.99 (after MIR) the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro simply cannot be recommended, especially in light of the fact that its PC Power & Cooling stablemate, the Silencer 750 Quad, can be had for $104.99 (after MIR) and actually does perform well in our testing. In the end the OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro is just another in a long line of 700 watt victims in our testing regiment.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/9
CORSAIR would've been the right choice.

GPU
q5tEc.png

Would've been good a few moons ago. Certainly, ATI is the way to go at the moment.

Mobo: Agree that you paid extra for a 3-way SLI board that's not really necessary. Disagree with the suggestion, but mostly because I'm not a fan of micro boards. It's a good board though.

RAM: The specs are good, but no idea if you could have gotten something better for the price. My guess is that you could have, as it's my experience that OCZ RAM is typically slightly more expensive for equally performance, but I do know it was in some decent combos recently...

I fully agree with the other points 1898 made.

Do you want to be able to watch OTA TV on your computer? If not, you don't need the TV tuner card.

Your motherboard comes with onboard 8-channel sound. You don't need a sound card.

Your motherboard comes with dual 10/100/1000Mbps onboard LAN. You don't need an ethernet card.

You only need an aftermarket heatsink if you plan on overclocking.

The HAF 932 moves plenty of air on its own. You don't need extra case fans.