Not enough power or motherboard fried?

Eararaldor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi my nephew recently purchased the following and asked me to upgrade his current system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H or Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.80GHz @ 3.60GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel

Supposedly it has also been overclocked as well......

PSU: Corsair TX 750W Power Supply

He bought the whole lot from overclockers.co.uk. I wasn’t with him when he bought it but 750 Watts seem beefy enough.

The problem is after assembly, even with the bare essentials to the system , it only turns on for half a second ( the PSU fans start moving). His old PSU is quite old and the connectors won't even fit the new motherboard so I can't check if it's just the PSU that's knackered.

I've never really encountered something like this. Could it be that 750 watts is not enough to run even a bare system? Or maybe there is a problem with the motherboard. Any are suggestions are welcome.

Was the board unopened? You may need to flash the bios for the board to work with the 1055t cpu. It's so new that many boards won't post until you update the bios. You'll need another am3 cpu to do this, or send it back to the manufacturer. Or you may simply need to reset the bios. Try removing the board battery for a one minute with the system off and the power supply unplugged. Then try posting again.

Eararaldor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
The RAM, CPU and Motherboard came pre assembled as part of a bundle. I would assume Overclockers would had already have done it.

Eararaldor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Solved, motherboard was touching the case. Which caused a short so the PSU shut off. Fixed by moving the pillars about.