No Sound from Monitor (HDMI) and External Speakers at the same time

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Not sure if this is a video card or Sound card question.

I have a Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI motherboard w/built-in 7.1 channels audio out. Here's my problem...

I just purchased an Acer H233Hbmid, which has built-in speakers. I don't want to use them exclusively, but I'd like to use them as a center channel.

I hooked up the monitor using my HDMI cable from my ATI 4350 (rather than using the DVI cable + the 3.5" mini to mini audio cable). If I leave it just like that, I get sound from the monitor - great!

BUT, when I plug in my external speakers to the onboard audio output, they work as well as they always have, but then the monitor speakers stop working.

Do I need to use the DVI hook-up (and eliminate the HDMI cable) in order to get sound from both my speakers AND the monitor?

Semi-related; will I lose quality in picture using DVI vs. HDMI?

Thanks,
Steve

Solution
either way, you should be able to connect your lineout to whatever speakers you are using and the centre jack to your monitor, probably using a 3.5mm -> 3,5mm cable.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

You will not be able to play sound through both the internal monitor speakers on HDMI and soundcard at the same time. Windows does not have the option to use multiple audio sources for audio output. You will have to choose one of them to be your primary audio output.

Also, I don't think you would lose any picture quality going from HDMI to DVI since it is just a monitor and not a 56 inch widescreen TV.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
You shouldnt lose any picture quality at all - HDMI is essentially a shrunk-down DVI connector with the audio along side it, both connectors can support HDCP and therefore full HD images provided there is appropriate hardware at each end of the cable.

steve9207

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Thanks Will! That's what I needed to know - so basically I need to get rid of the HDMI cable (since it's running the audio as well) and then use the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable from my center output to my monitor, then leave my speakers connected as is.

Btw - I'm not using anything fancy, in fact I don't know what it is without going upstairs to look at them - I must've got them about 5 - 7 years ago. It's basically a subwoofer (I think Altec Lansing) which is powered, then there are RCA outputs that go to the speakers and one line that goes to the sound card. So, while I can't plug the subwoofer into the "subwoofer" out on the sound card, it basically runs all through the sub with one line out / in. (Then there's also this built in volume control that runs 'in-line' with one of the cords which lets you control the volume independent of the windows volume control).

Now, if only someone is good with monitors, I could use an answer to this thread ;)