Sign in with
Your question

Can triple channel ddr3 memory work on a dual channel ddr3 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
June 13, 2010 4:51:15 PM

On the xfx 790i motherboard,it has dual channel ddr3 memory, can ddr3 triple channel work efficiently in the motherboard?
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
June 13, 2010 6:31:57 PM

Yes it can work but the thing is for triple channel you need sets of 3 modules and for dual channel you need sets of 2 !! So using a triple channel kit you will either use only 2 of the 3 dimms to remain in dual channel or if you use all 3 Dimms your system will be running in single channel mode since you can not use dual channel mode with an odd number of modules !! (unless using 2 sets of 3 which would then give you 6 modules so you could use all 6 in dual channel mode (assuming your MOBO has 6 slots !)
a c 292 V Motherboard
a c 163 } Memory
June 13, 2010 9:52:10 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Basically a tri-channel RAM are 3 single channel stick paired for run in tri-channel configuration with a mobo and CPU that support that configuration.

Now, with the little above information the tri-channel kit should works without problems in dual-channel plus single channel configuration, the question is. Why do u want buy a tri-channel kit for run it in dual channel plus single channel?
Related resources
December 28, 2010 2:15:25 AM

maybe because it's cheaper or good value? 3x2GB running as dual channel plus single is still probably better than 2x2gb in dual channel

I still can't confirm that running 3dimms will allow dual channel plus single channel configuration. Some threads state that 3 dimms will make all 3 run in single channel.
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
December 29, 2010 2:36:17 AM

cpulord1 said:
I still can't confirm that running 3dimms will allow dual channel plus single channel configuration. Some threads state that 3 dimms will make all 3 run in single channel.

That probably depends on the chipset or motherboard.
!