Can triple channel ddr3 memory work on a dual channel ddr3 motherboard

On the xfx 790i motherboard,it has dual channel ddr3 memory, can ddr3 triple channel work efficiently in the motherboard?
4 answers Last reply
More about triple channel ddr3 memory work dual channel ddr3 motherboard
  1. Yes it can work but the thing is for triple channel you need sets of 3 modules and for dual channel you need sets of 2 !! So using a triple channel kit you will either use only 2 of the 3 dimms to remain in dual channel or if you use all 3 Dimms your system will be running in single channel mode since you can not use dual channel mode with an odd number of modules !! (unless using 2 sets of 3 which would then give you 6 modules so you could use all 6 in dual channel mode (assuming your MOBO has 6 slots !)
  2. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Basically a tri-channel RAM are 3 single channel stick paired for run in tri-channel configuration with a mobo and CPU that support that configuration.

Now, with the little above information the tri-channel kit should works without problems in dual-channel plus single channel configuration, the question is. Why do u want buy a tri-channel kit for run it in dual channel plus single channel?
  3. maybe because it's cheaper or good value? 3x2GB running as dual channel plus single is still probably better than 2x2gb in dual channel

I still can't confirm that running 3dimms will allow dual channel plus single channel configuration. Some threads state that 3 dimms will make all 3 run in single channel.
  4. cpulord1 said:
    I still can't confirm that running 3dimms will allow dual channel plus single channel configuration. Some threads state that 3 dimms will make all 3 run in single channel.

That probably depends on the chipset or motherboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets DDR3 Dual Channel Triple Channel Motherboards Memory