Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HARD DRIVES PRICES!?!?( spinpoint f3 = $140!)

Last response: in Storage
November 3, 2011 6:27:26 PM

So I've been watching the price of the samsung spinpoint f3 1tb or the past few months and originally it was siting at around $60 then the past month went to $80 and now today its at $140. All newegg pricing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone know anything about this? Are hard drive prices going up? Is it just samsung? or just this hard drive?

Just worried if I should be buying a hard drive now before they all go up, because at this point I might as well just have SSD's. The price of this hard drive in particular which I thought was a budget hard drive has more than doubled in about 3 months.
November 3, 2011 6:35:32 PM

So dumb question I suppose, but I looked at the rest of the prices on newegg and all hard drives have doubled. Why is this? This is insane

Best solution

November 3, 2011 6:43:07 PM

http://www.infoworld.com/t/computer-hardware/hard-drive...

Flooding in Thailand and supply and demand scares have caused the prices to skyrocket and continue to go up.
Related resources
November 3, 2011 6:49:29 PM

wow, any hope of prices coming back down? maybe by the beginning of next year? I really want to shoot myself now for not buying a had drive.
November 3, 2011 6:49:59 PM

Best answer selected by alltheicons.
November 3, 2011 6:55:46 PM

I've heard that the prices aren't expected to settle down until near the end of next year sadly. Though that could just be speculation and I am not sure how true that estimate is because it was read third hand by someone else's posting. I didn't see the actual article saying it.
November 3, 2011 7:27:08 PM

Damn this just blows my mind
November 3, 2011 7:43:33 PM

If a hard drive dies in the next year Im gonna throw my keyboard across the room
November 3, 2011 7:55:41 PM

At least the keyboard will be cheaper to replace heh

November 4, 2011 12:50:52 AM

alltheicons said:
At least the keyboard will be cheaper to replace heh

hahahaah so true.
November 4, 2011 1:55:05 AM

Current estimates seem to be 3-6 months before the factories in Thailand to re-filled the supply channels.
!