Solved

Flash Drive file problem

Tags:
  • Computer
  • Flash Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 3, 2011 6:50:47 PM

My flash drive that i use for school isnt showing any of the files. My computer recognizes the disk and still says that only 4.59 GB's of 7.45 GB is free. Is there a way i can find the files? I never deleted them or anything. A friend thinks that the cause of this is pulling it out before the data is completely saved or not ejecting the flash drive. I dont normally do this and it never happened before. There are 2 projects on it that are due tomorrow so it kinda important that i get the data back asap.

Many thanks.

More about : flash drive file problem

November 3, 2011 8:22:42 PM

Does anyone know what i could do?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 8:36:48 PM

chk dsk?
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 8:42:58 PM

Check disk? Ive tried recuva and its found a few but they are corrupted...
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 9:05:55 PM

I don't recommend third party programs.
Right click your flash drive in my computer>Tools>Error Checking.
check all the options and start.

Did you make sure files aren't in trash can?
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:12:32 PM

I never deleted any of them... i pulled the flash drive out of an Imac at school as i rushed out the door and when i went to my next class (win7 pc) all the files were gone but it still showed that the data space was being used by something.
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:15:29 PM

No problems were found on the disk...
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 9:21:16 PM

tcfraz said:
I never deleted any of them... i pulled the flash drive out of an Imac at school as i rushed out the door and when i went to my next class (win7 pc) all the files were gone but it still showed that the data space was being used by something.

Do you need the data immediately? Sometimes this happens to me too when I switch files between my mac and pc. For me it was because my pc couldn't read the partition format while my mac could. So while it would appear in my mac it wouldn't on my pc. What I had to do was go back to my mac take out all the files and reformat it to fat32 and put all the files back on and it would appear. I don't know what else to tell you :/ 

Or may the files are hidden. Sometimes like a period or underscore in front of the file name hides it in either mac or pc... go to control panel>Folder options>view
select show hidden files and drives and apply. Check the drive...
November 3, 2011 9:29:24 PM

It would really help if i could use it tonight...Is there a way i can check the format of the drive? The files don't appear to be hidden...
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:32:10 PM

The one file that the program found however had a ._ in front of it, but it was still corrupted.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 9:33:14 PM

search partition in windows and open "create and format hard..." . select your flash drive
It should appear below with partition type and size.
How many partitions do you see for your flash drive and what format are they?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 9:35:03 PM

Yes. "._" is EXACTLY what causes a file to be hidden. If you can, try deleting it the "._" in front of it. It might reappear in windows then.
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:37:15 PM

There is only 1 and its in Fat32 all other drives on my computer are NTFS
m
l
November 3, 2011 9:39:35 PM

I renamed it and it still appears to be corrupted... thats the only file i can find and its not one i need :/ 

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 3, 2011 9:46:07 PM

:p  sorry. All out.
m
l
November 3, 2011 11:57:00 PM

Best answer selected by tcfraz.
m