making laptop wireless

I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

    "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
    > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?

    Not sure about the warranty but I much prefer the Netgear card. Its what I
    use on my Toshiba. I've seen too many mini wireless cards go bad over the
    years to ever want a laptop with wireless installed. If there's a card slot
    or two open (should be on a newer model Toshiba) then the $50 Netgear card
    is the way to go IMO. If it goes bad its very easy to replace and no one
    has to go inside your laptop to install it.

    --
    Tara

    I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
    Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
    ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
    just a few bucks.

    -- Ray

    "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
    > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > --
    > 1st Class Restoration
    > "Put your old music on CD"
    > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:27:47 -0500, "Ken Bouchard"
    <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    >Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
    >have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
    >
    >thanks,

    First, check and see if the laptop has an "Intel Centrino" logo on it.
    If it does, it's already got wireless network hardware built into it.
    No need to buy anything else, just configure it.

    If you don't, then you need to purchase a wireless network card,
    conforming to either 802.11B or 802.11G. The G is faster for straight
    network access, but is compatible with the B standard networks. For
    internet access the 802.11B standard is more than fast enough.

    As for "affecting the warranty", I doubt it. It's not something you
    need a technician for.

    The wireless notebook cards are PCMCIA cards, which means that you
    insert them and remove them like a cartridge -- there's usually one r
    more slot(s) on the side or in the front for these cards and you will
    be pulling and reinserting it on a regular basis. When you stow the
    notebook for storage or transport, it's a good idea to remove the
    card. Otherwise you risk tearing off the antenna (the plastic bit
    that hangs out) on the card, and damaging the slot. When you need to
    use the wireless network access again, you'll be plugging the card
    back in. It's also useful to remove the card when you don't need it
    -- for power conservation. Those cards heat up and eat battery power
    fast.

    The hardest part is going to be configuring it. Likely this is for
    some sort of school. You'll need to find out the school's wireless
    network ID, and their encryption key and enter these into the
    configuration. If you intend to have wireless network access at home,
    you'll need a wireless router.

    MCheu

    G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
    either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl or
    cable)
    or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
    or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through walls
    better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).

    That said, I use 802.11b
    I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
    Richard
    "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
    > Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
    > ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
    > just a few bucks.
    >
    > -- Ray
    >
    > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    > > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
    > > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > --
    > > 1st Class Restoration
    > > "Put your old music on CD"
    > > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    Something faster then DSL OR CABLE ? I don't know how fast your running, But
    My DSL IS 6mbps Down
    Something faster ? And I pay 49.95 a month along with my own IP Address.

    "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
    > G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
    > either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl
    or
    > cable)
    > or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
    > or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through
    walls
    > better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).
    >
    > That said, I use 802.11b
    > I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
    > Richard
    > "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > > I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
    > > Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
    > > ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay
    for
    > > just a few bucks.
    > >
    > > -- Ray
    > >
    > > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    > > > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if
    > > > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > 1st Class Restoration
    > > > "Put your old music on CD"
    > > > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    Well, I don't have something faster than DSL or cable, but if someone had a
    T3 or something (something that downs faster than 11mb/s), then they should
    get g.
    Richard

    marlin wrote:

    > G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
    > either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl or
    > cable)
    > or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
    > or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through walls
    > better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).

    Uh uh, 2,4GHz propagates around and through walls better than 5.25GHz
    (center of the bands most 802.11a radios use). At the same power, you'll
    get better range with .11g than .11a. That means .11a is inherently
    "safer" if you're worried abous someone sniffing your signal, but it's
    not really a big deal. The big advantage of .11a is that there are many
    more channels available, so if you need to have a lot of users connected
    to the one access point (eg, a lecture theater), it's a better option.
    It's been a big flop in the retail sector since .11g has the same
    bandwidth (the signal is modulated in exactly the same way, just at a
    lower carrier frequency) and it's cheaper - most of the front-end radio
    components cost less at 2.4GHZ than 5GHz. and if it's your internet
    connection that's limiting your network speed, just get .11b.

    On the origianl post's subject, popping a 802.11anything card into your
    PC Card slot won't affect warranty. An internally fitted mini-PCI card
    might.

    -p

    > That said, I use 802.11b
    > I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
    > Richard
    > "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
    >>Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
    >>ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
    >>just a few bucks.
    >>
    >>-- Ray
    >>
    >>"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
    >>>Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
    >>>have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
    >>>
    >>>thanks,
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>1st Class Restoration
    >>>"Put your old music on CD"
    >>>www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    I bow to you oh knowledgeable one. Anything this guy said that contradicts
    what I said, undoes what I said (and yes, I am being serious...he knows way
    more than me on the subject, or at least thinks about he important things
    instead of what just comes to mind).
    Richard
    "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
    > marlin wrote:
    >
    > > G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
    > > either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl
    or
    > > cable)
    > > or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
    > > or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through
    walls
    > > better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).
    >
    > Uh uh, 2,4GHz propagates around and through walls better than 5.25GHz
    > (center of the bands most 802.11a radios use). At the same power, you'll
    > get better range with .11g than .11a. That means .11a is inherently
    > "safer" if you're worried abous someone sniffing your signal, but it's
    > not really a big deal. The big advantage of .11a is that there are many
    > more channels available, so if you need to have a lot of users connected
    > to the one access point (eg, a lecture theater), it's a better option.
    > It's been a big flop in the retail sector since .11g has the same
    > bandwidth (the signal is modulated in exactly the same way, just at a
    > lower carrier frequency) and it's cheaper - most of the front-end radio
    > components cost less at 2.4GHZ than 5GHz. and if it's your internet
    > connection that's limiting your network speed, just get .11b.
    >
    > On the origianl post's subject, popping a 802.11anything card into your
    > PC Card slot won't affect warranty. An internally fitted mini-PCI card
    > might.
    >
    > -p
    >

    > > That said, I use 802.11b
    > > I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
    > > Richard
    > > "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
    > >>Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
    > >>ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay
    for
    > >>just a few bucks.
    > >>
    > >>-- Ray
    > >>
    > >>"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message

    marlin <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

    > Well, I don't have something faster than DSL or cable, but if someone
    > had a T3 or something (something that downs faster than 11mb/s), then
    > they should get g.

    Or if they trade a LOT of large files between several WiFi devices, e.g.
    frequently synching large PhotoShop or AutoCAD files between desktops and
    laptops.

    --
    Regards,

    James