Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

making laptop wireless

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 28, 2004 11:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

More about : making laptop wireless

June 29, 2004 2:11:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
> Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
> have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?

Not sure about the warranty but I much prefer the Netgear card. Its what I
use on my Toshiba. I've seen too many mini wireless cards go bad over the
years to ever want a laptop with wireless installed. If there's a card slot
or two open (should be on a newer model Toshiba) then the $50 Netgear card
is the way to go IMO. If it goes bad its very easy to replace and no one
has to go inside your laptop to install it.

--
Tara
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 8:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
just a few bucks.

-- Ray

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
> Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
> have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> 1st Class Restoration
> "Put your old music on CD"
> www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
>
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 8:46:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:27:47 -0500, "Ken Bouchard"
<ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
>Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
>have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
>
>thanks,

First, check and see if the laptop has an "Intel Centrino" logo on it.
If it does, it's already got wireless network hardware built into it.
No need to buy anything else, just configure it.

If you don't, then you need to purchase a wireless network card,
conforming to either 802.11B or 802.11G. The G is faster for straight
network access, but is compatible with the B standard networks. For
internet access the 802.11B standard is more than fast enough.

As for "affecting the warranty", I doubt it. It's not something you
need a technician for.

The wireless notebook cards are PCMCIA cards, which means that you
insert them and remove them like a cartridge -- there's usually one r
more slot(s) on the side or in the front for these cards and you will
be pulling and reinserting it on a regular basis. When you stow the
notebook for storage or transport, it's a good idea to remove the
card. Otherwise you risk tearing off the antenna (the plastic bit
that hangs out) on the card, and damaging the slot. When you need to
use the wireless network access again, you'll be plugging the card
back in. It's also useful to remove the card when you don't need it
-- for power conservation. Those cards heat up and eat battery power
fast.

The hardest part is going to be configuring it. Likely this is for
some sort of school. You'll need to find out the school's wireless
network ID, and their encryption key and enter these into the
configuration. If you intend to have wireless network access at home,
you'll need a wireless router.
---------------------------------------------

MCheu
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 9:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl or
cable)
or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through walls
better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).

That said, I use 802.11b
I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
Richard
"Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
news:xh6Ec.15155$x9.3548@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
> Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
> ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
> just a few bucks.
>
> -- Ray
>
> "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
> > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
> > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > --
> > 1st Class Restoration
> > "Put your old music on CD"
> > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 9:55:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Something faster then DSL OR CABLE ? I don't know how fast your running, But
My DSL IS 6mbps Down
Something faster ? And I pay 49.95 a month along with my own IP Address.

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:o T6Ec.15269$x9.2850@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
> either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl
or
> cable)
> or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
> or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through
walls
> better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).
>
> That said, I use 802.11b
> I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
> Richard
> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
> news:xh6Ec.15155$x9.3548@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> > I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
> > Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
> > ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay
for
> > just a few bucks.
> >
> > -- Ray
> >
> > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> > > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
> > > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if
I
> > > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > >
> > > --
> > > 1st Class Restoration
> > > "Put your old music on CD"
> > > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 7:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Well, I don't have something faster than DSL or cable, but if someone had a
T3 or something (something that downs faster than 11mb/s), then they should
get g.
Richard
"kkweaver" <kkweaver@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:Fv7Ec.79210$Km3.32962@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...
> Something faster then DSL OR CABLE ? I don't know how fast your running,
But
> My DSL IS 6mbps Down
> Something faster ? And I pay 49.95 a month along with my own IP Address.
>
> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:o T6Ec.15269$x9.2850@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> > G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
> > either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl
> or
> > cable)
> > or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
> > or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through
> walls
> > better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).
> >
> > That said, I use 802.11b
> > I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
> > Richard
> > "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
> > news:xh6Ec.15155$x9.3548@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> > > I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
> > > Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is
a
> > > ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay
> for
> > > just a few bucks.
> > >
> > > -- Ray
> > >
> > > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > > news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> > > > I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still
under
> > > > Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee
if
> I
> > > > have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
> > > >
> > > > thanks,
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > 1st Class Restoration
> > > > "Put your old music on CD"
> > > > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 9:26:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marlin wrote:

> G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
> either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl or
> cable)
> or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
> or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through walls
> better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).

Uh uh, 2,4GHz propagates around and through walls better than 5.25GHz
(center of the bands most 802.11a radios use). At the same power, you'll
get better range with .11g than .11a. That means .11a is inherently
"safer" if you're worried abous someone sniffing your signal, but it's
not really a big deal. The big advantage of .11a is that there are many
more channels available, so if you need to have a lot of users connected
to the one access point (eg, a lecture theater), it's a better option.
It's been a big flop in the retail sector since .11g has the same
bandwidth (the signal is modulated in exactly the same way, just at a
lower carrier frequency) and it's cheaper - most of the front-end radio
components cost less at 2.4GHZ than 5GHz. and if it's your internet
connection that's limiting your network speed, just get .11b.

On the origianl post's subject, popping a 802.11anything card into your
PC Card slot won't affect warranty. An internally fitted mini-PCI card
might.

-p



> That said, I use 802.11b
> I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
> Richard
> "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
> news:xh6Ec.15155$x9.3548@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
>
>>I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
>>Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
>>ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay for
>>just a few bucks.
>>
>>-- Ray
>>
>>"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
>>
>>>I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
>>>Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if I
>>>have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>
>>>--
>>>1st Class Restoration
>>>"Put your old music on CD"
>>>www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 9:26:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I bow to you oh knowledgeable one. Anything this guy said that contradicts
what I said, undoes what I said (and yes, I am being serious...he knows way
more than me on the subject, or at least thinks about he important things
instead of what just comes to mind).
Richard
"plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
news:40e119ad$1@duster.adelaide.on.net...
> marlin wrote:
>
> > G isn't a ripoff...well it isn't if you have the following
> > either a super high speed internet connection (something faster than dsl
or
> > cable)
> > or a lot (5 or more) computers connected wirelessly
> > or a lot of walls for the signal to go through (5.4ghz travels through
walls
> > better than 2.4ghz...then again it might also cause cancer better).
>
> Uh uh, 2,4GHz propagates around and through walls better than 5.25GHz
> (center of the bands most 802.11a radios use). At the same power, you'll
> get better range with .11g than .11a. That means .11a is inherently
> "safer" if you're worried abous someone sniffing your signal, but it's
> not really a big deal. The big advantage of .11a is that there are many
> more channels available, so if you need to have a lot of users connected
> to the one access point (eg, a lecture theater), it's a better option.
> It's been a big flop in the retail sector since .11g has the same
> bandwidth (the signal is modulated in exactly the same way, just at a
> lower carrier frequency) and it's cheaper - most of the front-end radio
> components cost less at 2.4GHZ than 5GHz. and if it's your internet
> connection that's limiting your network speed, just get .11b.
>
> On the origianl post's subject, popping a 802.11anything card into your
> PC Card slot won't affect warranty. An internally fitted mini-PCI card
> might.
>
> -p
>
>
>
> > That said, I use 802.11b
> > I'm 99% sure it will not effect your warranty.
> > Richard
> > "Ray Jenkins" <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote in message
> > news:xh6Ec.15155$x9.3548@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> >
> >>I have two older Linksys 802.11b cards -- one is Ver. 3, the other
> >>Ver.2.5 -- and they both work very well, In fact the "g" technology is a
> >>ripoff. You can get those older cards, especially the Ver.2.5, on eBay
for
> >>just a few bucks.
> >>
> >>-- Ray
> >>
> >>"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >>news:IYGdnSKWhMqoWH3dRVn-ug@adelphia.com...
> >>
> >>>I need to make my daughter's Toshiba laptop wireless. It's still under
> >>>Toshiba warrantee. (bought last year) It won't affect the warrantee if
I
> >>>have somebody other than Toshiba slap in a "wireless" card, right?
> >>>
> >>>thanks,
> >>>
> >>>--
> >>>1st Class Restoration
> >>>"Put your old music on CD"
> >>>www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
June 29, 2004 9:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

marlin <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

> Well, I don't have something faster than DSL or cable, but if someone
> had a T3 or something (something that downs faster than 11mb/s), then
> they should get g.

Or if they trade a LOT of large files between several WiFi devices, e.g.
frequently synching large PhotoShop or AutoCAD files between desktops and
laptops.

--
Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com
!