No network connection after Vista update

Status
Not open for further replies.

cumbowt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hello,

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 1525 (computer stats listed below) running Vista that after a recent Windows automatic Update session cannot connect to the internet via wireless or hard-wired connection.

The ethernet adapter is enabled, but when I tried "Diagnose" it says that the network adapter is not correctly configured to use the IP protocol. Under "status" both IPv4 & IPv6 are listed as "Not Connected" and the media states is listed as "Enabled." Under "properties" everything is checked for both adapters.
The wireless adapter gives me the same readings as the above ethernet adapter.

I have tried to disable and re-enable the adapters along with a router restart, but it did not help. I did an uninstall and reinstall then updated the drivers, then plugged in and did a router restart, didn't help. I even tried these in safe mode, but to no avail.

Any help to get her computer back online would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
TC

Here is her "ipconfig /all" stats:
Host Name.........................: Monit-PC
Primary Dns Suffix..............:
Node Type.........................: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled............: No
WINS Proxy Enabled..........: No
(yep, that's all of it!)

Her computer stats along with what updates were installed are:
Dell Inspiron 1525
Vista Home Basic (6.0.6002)
32-bit
Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 1.6 GHz
2Gb RAM
Dell Motherboard OPT113

Ethernet Adapter:
Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E fast Ethernet Controller
Wireless card: Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Update Session included:
KB973687 ("to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests...)
KB976098 & KB976470 both for time and date issues
KB973688 Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (says it cannot be uninstalled)

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
So the update killed it?

Only thing I can figure is perhaps the update isn't finished. Sometimes you have to do a shutdown to finish installing updates.

ntadmin101

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Try resetting the IP stack with the following procedure. Open a command prompt and type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt then reboot. try to get online and be sure to review the c:\resetlog.txt after.

cumbowt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Thanks for the replies, scaye and ntadmin101.

Scaye, I am not sure if the updates killed it but the computer was connecting fine before it updated. The computer automatically restarted after the updates, but with no internet connection.
I checked the update log to see what updated and the updates show in the update history, but they do not show up in the installed updates list. hmmmm. Maybe you are right about the updates not finishing, should I try to reinstall the updates?

ntadmin101, I tried the IP stack reset: everything said "OK!", restarted, but I still cannot connect.

Thanks the help! TC

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Sounds software. You could try uninstalling both adapters, and rebooting the computer. Let the computer detect and install them see if that changes anything.

If that doesn't do the trick, maybe the updates messed something up in windows somehow. Uninstalling those updates are an easy way to see if it caused the problem.

cumbowt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I uninstalled and rebooted, but no luck.

I'll try to uninstall the updates if possible (they don't show in the "installed updates" window just the "update history" window) and I'll let you all know what the results are.

Thanks!!!

TC

cumbowt

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I easily uninstalled 3 of the 4 updates, but the 4th update (KB973688) proved to be a bit more difficult. In windows update it listed the update as installed, not once, but twice and I could not uninstall the update. I had to use Tune-Up Utilities to uninstall the update.

Now, all 4 of the new updates have been uninstalled.
I then rebooted, and still no internet.
So, I uninstalled the network ethernet adapter, rebooted, and reinstalled the network adapter...no luck.
I have even tried a system restore to a point a few days before the update, no luck.

I have checked on google about these updates causing a loss of internet, but came up with nothing.
Does this mean that it was not the updates that caused the problem and the timing was just a coincidence? Any ideas on what I should check next?

TC

G

I am having the same problem, got vista service pack to update and after installation the internet went down. Working perfectly fine on my other system.

Tried many tricks but its not working.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
If both the wireless and cabled stopped working at the same time, it's a software issue.

Do you have any third party firewalls, spyware, adware, antivirus programs? These could in some way be denying access.

You might also check and see if the adapter is set up to pull an IP automatically still.

Technotronic1

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I know I'm about 3 years late, but I had this problem earlier in the week and it was very fustrating trying to solve it. I had no restore points, and windows would show "Limited Connectivity" on all wireless networks and "not configured to use the IP protocol". Couldn't find any help of use on the internet.

After a lot of messing around, it turned out the problem was being caused by a program named "Applian Replay Media Catcher", which installs it's own simulated network adapter. On my Vista 64bit machine all I had to do was uninstall the program and my wireless connectivity came straight back.

If you're having this problem and nothing above works, I'd suggest uninstalling any software you installed recently. Good luck!

ieo_jr

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
[Where do you find that media catcher?]

malagon

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

A friend of mine had the same problem, we try to solved for several hours and he fixed applying a system restore point of few days before the update kb973688

Good luck

Deaide

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013

Tom Chase
I had the same problem and what seemed fix it for me:
Open an elevated Command Prompt
Start ; type cmd in search , right click on cmd at the top of menu and select 'Run as Adminstrator
At the curser type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
exit and reboot
Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.