Could my hard drive be damaged? Slow computer

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
My computer is becoming slow again... It has been 5 months now since I've had to re-install windows vista due to crashes, bsods, slow downs.
Just last night it froze on me during the middle of playing WoW. I always keep a on screen display showing temperatures and memory usage which at the time were perfectly safe. I also checked in the event viewer with what could have triggered that crash and came across nothing. Now my computer is slow again.

I keep my AV updated (And found no viruses), windows updated, video drivers, and internet plugins. I've turned off every useless program in the start-up with no alleviation.(Even safe mode is slow as a constipated moron) The only thing I haven't updated was the BIOS (Have't had any need to keep it updated since It already supports my hardware)
So with everything updated It still runs like crap. I run the memtest again and that diagnostics program windows came with that scans for any hardware problems and runs it under tests.

I am once again out of options to fix this lump of junk. The only fix I have found for my problems have been to let it sit with itself all day until what ever loop its hung on figures itself out. Turning it off and then back on solves absolutely no problem. It starts up fine, until the log in screen tries and pops up (leaving me staring at a pretty black screen for a few minutes before it gives me the option to type in my password.) After typing in the password I wait a few more minutes with a spinning welcome icon that freezes up along with everything else freezing up before suddenly going black with a effed up version of my task bar that's fat as hell. It corrects itself back to the appropriate size but takes forever to load my back ground and icons. Opening anything is a joke...

Btw i'm paying for Norton 360, none of that free AV downloadable crap that's a knock off. It couldn't find a virus.... But I doubt that it even is a virus as my computer has been this way before when I had to re-install Vista due to the constant crashing and slow downs.

With all that I have done, could this possibly be something failing on the hardware end of my computer? A few days ago I brought this pile of junk to my friends house and replaced the hard drive with one of his that he didn't use. I installed my copy of Vista onto it and everything ran so perfect that I couldn't believe just how deep in hell I was with the other hard drive.
The HD with my data on it is a 500gb Seagate with a 7200 RPM and 3.0 Gb/sec transferring rate. I'm down to 195Gb's on it so it isn't filled up yet. Perhaps it could be damaged somehow? :pfff:

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

No, I keep all the clock settings at default

"After typing in the password I wait a few more minutes with a spinning welcome icon that freezes up along with everything else freezing up before suddenly going black with a effed up version of my task bar that's fat as hell. It corrects itself back to the appropriate size but takes forever to load my back ground and icons. Opening anything is a joke... "

Sound like graphics driver loading slow. Try a different version (the newest driver is not always the best) and use driver sweeper to uninstall it.

Also, what defrag tool do you use?