Closed Solved

Am3 on an78gs

hey y'all
so i'm currently running an amd 5200+ on my an78gs, and thinking of upgrading it.
now i am thinking of getting myself an Athlon II 630.

the question is, will that processor work on the motherboard?

i know i will have to update the bios and everything, and speaking of which, have anyone tried am3 on am2+?
hows it going?

and can someone tell me the tdp support of this motherboard? i look everywhere but i just can't find it.. i'm still looking though..
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about an78gs
  1. AM3 CPUs can work on AM2+ mobos, just need to make sure the mobo supports the CPU, on the mobo vendors website. And AM3 chips on am2+ boards only support DDR2 ram as a heads up
  2. Quote:
    AM3 CPUs can work on AM2+ mobos, just need to make sure the mobo supports the CPU, on the mobo vendors website. And AM3 chips on am2+ boards only support DDR2 ram as a heads up

here are my cpu support references :
    1. http://www.abit.com.tw/cpu-support-list/mb/nv_gforce8200_an78gs.htm
    2. http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ABIT/AN78GS.html

none of those 2 says my mobo is compatible with any am3, does this means all hope is lost? :(

can you point me any am2+ mobo that support am3?
  3. If your gonna get a new mobo, just get a AM3 mobo that supports DDR2 ram
  4. Quote:
    If your gonna get a new mobo, just get a AM3 mobo that supports DDR2 ram

nope. i think that will not be a good idea, ddr3 memory are cheaper than ddr2, so...
    my plan is getting a new proc only for now, and get my self a new am3 ddr3 mobo ;)

but now all hope seems lost... :( :(

i just can't find anywhere that says my mobo could support the proc i want.
    should i just go for it now? or save tons of dough to get proc + everything later?
  5. Best answer
    The athlon quad should work on that mobo, that CPU support list is just years out of date...
  6. how do you know? :o
  7. Because AM3 CPUs work on AM2+ boards...
  8. Quote:
    Because AM3 CPUs work on AM2+ boards...

yep thats what i heard..
    okay then i guess i'll give it a shot.
    if it doesn't work, what the hell, i'll save some dough and get a new mobo.. :D

thanks for your replies :D
  9. No problem, just glad to help, remember to bestanswer a answer lol
  10. Best answer selected by coolkeeper.
  11. 'aight done :D
  12. coolkeeper said:
    Quote:
    Because AM3 CPUs work on AM2+ boards...

yep thats what i heard..
    okay then i guess i'll give it a shot.
    if it doesn't work, what the hell, i'll save some dough and get a new mobo.. :D

thanks for your replies :D

I was wondering if using the AM3 CPU work for you. I too have this board(AN78Gs) and was thinking of using an AM3 instead of changing out my MB. What Am3 cpu did you use. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards