Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Card for 3 monitor support....need help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2009 3:58:54 PM

I have two monitors with DVI connectors, and 1 TV with an hdmi connector I want connected to my computer.
Is there a good graphics card that will run the 2 monitors and 1 TV simultaneously?

Can I get two ATI cards and run them in crossfire to get 4 outputs out of 2 2-output cards?

What is the best way to do this?

More about : card monitor support

a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 4:53:10 PM

Before we get to it why are you wanting to use 2 monitors/1 TV? We need to know specific use so we can advice you on a GPU with 3 display support as there are many ways to use 3 displays (Extended, Clones or Mirrors, image sharing, individual desktops in each display, or swapping monitor outputs.)

What are the resolutions/sizes for the monitors/tvs?
m
l
December 4, 2009 4:56:47 PM

The two DVI monitors are an extended desktop (running 1680x1050 each, and this is current....I am looking to also add the TV to the display combination). The TV via hdmi would optimally also be an extended desktop. The TV I believe is 1920x1080. Let me know if you need more info.
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2009 5:01:31 PM

Honestly a 2 card solution will probably be your best bet. The 5xxx ATI cards are great, but one of them has to be a display port monitor, or you have to get a display port to DVI active adapter and they are $100+.

If your motherboard doesn't have (2) PCI-E x16 slots we could figure something else out, but what are you planning to do with these displays? Just desktop work, gaming, video editing?
m
l
December 4, 2009 5:48:33 PM

I was looking at the 5xxx series but ran into that DP problem. Motherboard is not an issue. this is for a new system build. it will mainly be used for desktop work, with the TV used as a presentation device, watch videos, etc. It is in an office/sales room/meeting room used for group activities/presentations.

Can I put two cards in crossfire and get 4 outputs then? I haven't used crossfire before so i don't know how that works. Also, what 2 cards would one suggest for this then?
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2009 6:01:19 PM

if you are planning to just run 3 separate displays you don't even need to crossfire or sli. You can run them each independently.
m
l
December 4, 2009 6:04:01 PM

drivers won't conflict then...? I can just get two of the same brand say ATI and get the same card whether 4xxx or 5xxx, run them together just not in crossfire.... it sounds too easy, but I can do it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2009 6:31:27 PM

I think you have to stick with cards that use the same video driver though. So ATI and ATI or Nvidia and Nvidia. I believe there are ways to work around this.

4670's are good multimedia cards, if you don't plan on doing gaming. You could toss in 2 of those.
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2009 1:23:54 AM

jay2tall said:
I think you have to stick with cards that use the same video driver though. So ATI and ATI or Nvidia and Nvidia. I believe there are ways to work around this.

4670's are good multimedia cards, if you don't plan on doing gaming. You could toss in 2 of those.

Yeah I will have to second this advice, two 4670's will do plenty well for 2 DVI monitors in extended and a TV at 1920x1080. Make sure you get the same company, brand, and model versions. They should be fine. Does your motherboard have 2 PCI-E 16x Slots?
m
l
!