Sign in with
Your question

AMD Overdriving causing bluescreen pre-OC

Last response: in Overclocking
May 17, 2012 8:45:23 AM

Relevant parts would be i5-2500K (nzxt havik 120 cooler), Gigabyte 7870, Gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3.

I overclocked my cpu to 4.1 GHz (from 3.3, with stock voltage) and stressed tested with Prime95 and appeared to be stable.
Also I overclocked my gpu core clock speed to 1250 MHz (from 1100) and memory clock to 1400 (from 1200, i think) and stressed tested with furmark, but got some drivers errors so i dialed back to 1200 and 1300 respectively.

After a reboot (unrelated matter) I launched my overclocking software (msi afterburner, gpu-z, cpu-z, furmark, etc) and before I could do anything I got a blue screen. When the computer restarts, after the black windows splash screen I get an automatic bluescreen.

I tried uninstalling afterburner in safe mode, but that didnt do anything.
Anyone got any suggestions?

EDIT:

So I found a fix, by reinstalling msi afterburner. Only thing is that I couldnt do it from safemode, I had to boot from the integrated graphics then reinstall afterburner, then boot from pci afterwards.

EDIT2:

As it turns out it wasn't afterburner causing the bluescreen, it was AMD overdrive. As soon as I reinstalled overdrive (uninstalled along with afterburner) the system immediately bluescreen'd. My issue is that using afterburner, the core voltage is grayed out and i cant increase the voltages.
May 19, 2012 5:31:34 PM

Install your gpu again........
Than your clock will reset automaticly :) 
Or reset a BIOS........
!