I7 920 temperature control issues

Hardline

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I have an i7 920 on an ASUS P6T with 6GB of Corsair DDR3 1600MHz RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. My issue is my system is overheating under heavy load, such as Re-encoding a DVD to an MP4. When idle, the CPU is at 25c, but when I am trying to encode, within 3 minutes, the CPU is at 95c and the system bluescreens. I am using CoreTemp to verify these temps. I am using an admittedly cheap cooler, but it is a 4 Heatpipe design, which has to perform better than the stock cooler. The system is NOT overclocked or has the voltage been tampered with. I thought maybe I had too much heatsink compound on the heatspreader, so i cleaned it off with alcohol and spread a very thin layer across the spreader, reseated the cooler spinning it a bit to get out any air bubbles, but it still overheats. I'm wondering why the thermal protection doesnt kick in and slow the cpu down, instead of crashing. I am considering going watercooling and is why i went with such a cheap cooler, so I could save for a decent watercooling kit. I know this is out of the ordinary, and I am wondering if possibly either there is something wrong with the motherboard configuration for the CPU or the cooler is inadequate. Any input?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Your heatsink isn't seated properly - touch it when your system BSODs and see if it's warm - if not then it's not doing its job.

Take it off, clean all the thermal gunk off the chip and heatsink, reapply something decent (Arctic Silver 5 or MX-3) as directed and put the heatsink back on. When it's back on, give the heatsink a gentle wiggle - if it moves AT ALL then it's still not seated properly or your retention mechanism might be buggered.

If it all looks OK and you still have problems, get a new heatsink. In fact, drop the Intel stock fan back on it and see how that goes - it's not the greatest in the world but it's design to do the job of cooling a stock CPU well enough for use.

Hardline

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
It looks as if I need a better cooler then. I am using arctic silver already............ The stock cooler is marginally worse than the one I am using. My temps at idle are about 10c warmer with the stock cooler

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Cogage True Spirit or Scythe Mugen 2 - excellent coolers on the cheap.

If everything's seated properly you shouldn't be hitting load temps that high if you're not overclocking - check the voltage in the BIOS and see what it is, as you may be running something unnecessarily high which is causing the heat to pump out.