6600GT AGP Upgrade to HD 4650 or 3850. Is it worth it?

ragecage

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi all:

I have an older rig that I gave to my son so he can play games. It's an XP 3200+ (not really OC'd I think) w/ a Geforce 6600gt. We went to install Borderlands & Op Flashpoint 2 but they won't run (I am assuming due to new Direct X standards). Anyway, for most games the thing seems to run OK but now we are having issues with the latest games. I am happy with the PC overall so is it worth dropping another $80 or so for a Radeon 4650 or 3850? I know this is certainly the end of the line for upgrades but I am not prepared to do a whole mobo/card/cpu/ram thing.

If you do think it is worth it, which one is better -4650 or 3850? Funny how the 3850 is more expensive on newegg as I guess demand is higher due to memory timings? Anyway, thx in advance!

RC

Solution
The 3850 is better and no, it's not worth it. The 6600 GT is a DX9c card and Borderlands is a DX9c game so it's not because of Shader Model requirements.

Better off saving off for a new system. While you WILL experience a performance increase in some games and in some areas, your CPU is simply too slow to give a 3850 a run for it's money.

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The 3850 is better and no, it's not worth it. The 6600 GT is a DX9c card and Borderlands is a DX9c game so it's not because of Shader Model requirements.

Better off saving off for a new system. While you WILL experience a performance increase in some games and in some areas, your CPU is simply too slow to give a 3850 a run for it's money.

Solution

ragecage

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Awww man -that is not the answer I was looking for... I haven't looked into it but I am sure I could crank that CPU up a little bit. I'm pretty sure it is running stock and it has a big fan on it. Mobo is Abit NF-7. I remember I bought this years ago thinking I was gong to tinker/tweak and then SLI came out and I bought a new base rig. Thanks for the reply!