Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Only Yes or No Query please answer...............!!! Does...

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 3:45:27 AM

Hello All my pals,
I would just like to know does Gigabyte's G41 series chipset mobo GA-G41M-ES2L supports PCI-Express 2.0
From the line from the site it seems it does:http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...
The line is:1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16 (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

But from the Intel's site it seems that G41 chipset does not support PCI-E 2.0............and also from some reviews.
YOU GUYS help it does or not.................its bit confusing..!
Thanks All,
Krishan

More about : query answer

a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 10:32:15 AM

bilbat said:
Just the odd typo... Try here:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
...indeed, you have it right - the G41 only has 1.1 conformance, no 2.0...

Hey waht on this site regarding this topic is the line:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16
this means a single pci-express x16 slot which is at 16x does it give any clue that it is of ver 1.1 or 2.0.........
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 11:39:23 AM

khicharkumar said:
Hey waht on this site regarding this topic is the line:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16
this means a single pci-express x16 slot which is at 16x does it give any clue that it is of ver 1.1 or 2.0.........


1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16 means that the slot has 16 lanes

taken from wikipedia:
Lane
A lane is composed of a transmit and receive pair of differential lines. Each lane is composed of 4 wires or signal paths, meaning conceptually, each lane is a full-duplex byte stream, transporting data packets in 8 bit 'byte' format, between endpoints of a link, in both directions simultaneously.[4] Physical PCIe slots may contain from one to thirty-two lanes, in powers of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32).[3] Lane counts are written with an × prefix (e.g., ×16 represents a sixteen-lane card or slot), with ×16 being the largest size in common use

It doesn't give you any clue what version it is.
There are PCIe 1.1 slots that have x16 or two x8
and there are PCIe 2.0 slots that have a single x16, two x8, even two x16 (X58 chipset)

The chipset will give you a clue though, the one you posted is a G41 series,
and NO it does not have pci-e 2.0 But you can still use a PCI Express 2.0 card in that slot ( I think thats what the conformance means)
Share
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 3:12:14 PM

May be interested in some discussion we've been having at: UD3R Shared Bandwidth Question re x8 vs x16 bandwidths; if you were to post what you want to use, I might be able to put your mind at ease - very, very little exists 'in the channel' that needs x16 (specifically x16 V2.0) bandwidth...

As to main point of buying a G31/G41 based board is to use the on-board graphics, obviating the need for a vidcard, I don't see putting a three-hundred dollar graphics card into a seventy dollar MOBO, nor a six or eight hundred dollar x8 RAID card that needs the whole x8! What are you actually planning? As Gamer-girl has pointed out, nearly every existent 2.0-based card is 'backward compatible to 1.0, it all boils down to actual bandwidth requirement...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2010 5:21:51 AM

bilbat said:
May be interested in some discussion we've been having at: UD3R Shared Bandwidth Question re x8 vs x16 bandwidths; if you were to post what you want to use, I might be able to put your mind at ease - very, very little exists 'in the channel' that needs x16 (specifically x16 V2.0) bandwidth...

As to main point of buying a G31/G41 based board is to use the on-board graphics, obviating the need for a vidcard, I don't see putting a three-hundred dollar graphics card into a seventy dollar MOBO, nor a six or eight hundred dollar x8 RAID card that needs the whole x8! What are you actually planning? As Gamer-girl has pointed out, nearly every existent 2.0-based card is 'backward compatible to 1.0, it all boils down to actual bandwidth requirement...


I want to use a decent PCI-e card that can give me nice causual gaming and 3D application performance at 1024*768 at least such as
1.Nvidia Geforce 9400-9800 any of them
2.ATI Radeon 4670 or something similar...
They all are PCI-e 2.0 so i was thinking that they would perform slowly at PCI *16 which is version 1.1 that was the reason.........But i think the cards mentioned will not use effectively the available bandwidth only cards like Radeon HD 5870,5970 or Geforce 470,480 or like we bottlenecked by the PCI-e 1.1...........
So i think there will be no problem using any mid-range card.........thanks all...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2010 5:42:35 AM

Gamer-girl said:
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16 means that the slot has 16 lanes

taken from wikipedia:
Lane
A lane is composed of a transmit and receive pair of differential lines. Each lane is composed of 4 wires or signal paths, meaning conceptually, each lane is a full-duplex byte stream, transporting data packets in 8 bit 'byte' format, between endpoints of a link, in both directions simultaneously.[4] Physical PCIe slots may contain from one to thirty-two lanes, in powers of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32).[3] Lane counts are written with an × prefix (e.g., ×16 represents a sixteen-lane card or slot), with ×16 being the largest size in common use

It doesn't give you any clue what version it is.
There are PCIe 1.1 slots that have x16 or two x8
and there are PCIe 2.0 slots that have a single x16, two x8, even two x16 (X58 chipset)

The chipset will give you a clue though, the one you posted is a G41 series,
and NO it does not have pci-e 2.0 But you can still use a PCI Express 2.0 card in that slot ( I think thats what the conformance means)


Yes the PCI-e 2.0 GPU's are : compatible with PCI-e x16 1.1 slots but the thing troubling me is:
The line:
From this line from the site it seems it does support PCI-2.0 GPU's:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Sp...
The line is:1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x 16 (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
You go to mentioned site and see this line mentioned above.....
This means Giga-byte is fooling around the coustmers..You juse see it but anyway i will use any mid range Nvidia or ATI Card they are unable to use thefull PCI-e x16 bandwith
only the High-Ends like Radeon 5970 or GTX 480 will suffer in PCI-e 1.1 so thanks for your help....
Krishan
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2010 12:37:21 PM

Best answer selected by khicharkumar.
m
0
l
!