Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 Silverstone Raven 2 Build

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2009 4:33:13 PM

Hello. I'm brand new to the site and brand new to the world of custom PC building. I've been (foolishly) buying Dell and Compaq PCs and have stepped up to the plate in building my own customized machine. This is my first computer build and I have little experience but have intermediate knowledge of computer systems, components and etc. I am a mechanical engineer so I learn quick and I'm good with specifications and details.

I scored a insane deal on Newegg and Microcenter (10% cashback and $199 for Core i7 920!) over this past black friday and have purchased the parts seen below. Most components have arrived but I'm still waiting for the case:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (Nov. 26th) COST: (e.g.: $1240) After rebates and Bing cashback.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming, Tuning, just having a powerful machine in general because this America and I can.)

OVERCLOCKING: Hell yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: In due time

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920 x 1080

COMPONENTS PURCHASED:

Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
Cooler: Cooler Master V8
Memory: G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: 1x EVGA GeForce GTX 260
HDD: 1x WD Caviar Black 750GB
Power: Corsair TX-750 Watt PSU
Case: Silverstone Raven RV02
TOTAL PRICE: $1040 after rebates and cash back

Monitor: ASUS 24" VW246H 1920x1080
PRICE: $200
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this post is to just kickstart my forum account here and say what's up to everybody since I'll probably run into many issues when I start assembling this puppy. So hello. I am eventually going to add another GTX260 for SLI, another 6GB for 12GB of memory, add another WD Caviar for RAID-0 and overclock the CPU to about 3.8-4.2 Ghz god willing.

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone utilize same or similar components in their build? Did you run into any compatibility issues? Is it stable? How are the components in terms of quality?

2. Anyone foresee any difficulties regarding this set of components I picked out in terms of reliability and compatibility?

3. Please give your criticisms/concerns/questions/pat-on-the-back/words of encouragement regarding these components and how you foresee them working together.

Thanks alot in advance.

- Jacob
December 2, 2009 5:47:15 PM

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the forums.

Everything looks great, but you'd be doing yourself a favor if you changed your HDD choice if it isn't already too late. It's not a huge deal, but you can both save money and get a faster HDD if you were to grab a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB or if you want to stick with WD, a Caviar Black 640GB. They are faster because they hold more data on their platter(s) so the read/write heads don't have to move as much. This cuts down on latency and should also make them more reliable.

That's really all I have to say about your build. You did a great job. Good luck getting it all assembled.
m
l
December 2, 2009 7:17:39 PM

I did get a Caviar black... only its 750GB. Does that make a difference?
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2009 10:37:24 PM

The EVGA GeForce GTX 260 might be a problem. I would have gone with a 5770 or a 5850, they are both Direct X11 compatible; and are better cards in general.
m
l
December 2, 2009 10:52:37 PM

Yes the 640GB WD is faster than the 750GB. The F3 is faster than them both.
m
l
December 2, 2009 11:47:06 PM

return that card , get a ATI 5870 , and have fun with your build .
m
l
December 3, 2009 3:55:16 PM

Sorry guys I'm an nVidia fanboy.
m
l
December 3, 2009 4:15:15 PM

Wait hold up... I was just skimming the articles. Are the new ATI 5000 series cards really that much faster than the GeForce 2xx series?
m
l
December 3, 2009 4:27:52 PM

^That's really too vague of a question to answer without clarification, but no not really when you compare similar cards. The main feature of ATI's 5XXX series and Nvidia's upcoming 3XX series is support for DX11.
m
l
December 3, 2009 6:35:59 PM

Currently, I find it hard to recommend any nvidia card given the price, feature, and performance gap between their cards and ATI ones. I would check out the 4890 if you can't afford the 5850.
m
l
December 3, 2009 8:01:31 PM

CoolerMaster V8? You can do better than that price/performance wise!
m
l
December 3, 2009 9:52:05 PM

I got it for $36 bucks free shipping on black friday =)
m
l
December 4, 2009 1:42:19 AM

^Ahhhh that was a great Black Friday, Intel x25 g2s for 200$, But ya i gotta agree team Reds cards are beating NV's cards pretty bad right now, I would recomend a 58** series
m
l
December 4, 2009 2:58:26 PM

Honestly, I'm starting to think the only reason I'm still sticking with Nvidia is because of PhysX and maybe a little bit because of 3D Vision. Does ATI have any little perks like those that I am unaware of?
m
l
December 4, 2009 4:53:01 PM

IMO Physx pales in comparison to DX11, DirectCompute, Eyefinity, bitstreaming, better performance, lower idle power consumption, and better bang for buck?
m
l
December 4, 2009 9:05:53 PM

Hey guys. I spent the last 2 days carefully hooking everything up and I just turned the machine on for the first time. It posted properly! I was surprised because I was expecting at least SOMETHING to go wrong.

Overall I think it was a very pleasant experience. Raven RV02 is an amazing amazing case. Very top quality stuff. I think the hardest part was mounting the bigass Coolermaster V8 onto the i7 and motherboard.

Anyways, I'm still waiting for my DVD drive and my Windows 7 to arrive. In the meantime, are there any diagnostics checks that I should be doing to check that all components are operating and powered properly?

Also I noticed that the DDR3 ram got registered as running at 1066Mhz. What's up with that? These G.Skills are 1600Mhz. Is this a problem? Thanks.
m
l
December 4, 2009 10:09:54 PM

Also... this may be the dumbest question to ask... but I have lot of unused Molex cables for the Corsair TX750 which isn't modular. What would happen if I just cut them off? Will it effect the operation of the power supply? Thanks.
m
l
December 5, 2009 1:16:25 AM

You could install Hardware Monitor, Prime 95, and MemTest86+. You may just need to go into the bios and up the RAM frequency. I would not recommend cutting the cables! As an alternative, try using same cable ties to tuck them away.
m
l
December 5, 2009 8:19:56 PM

Go into the BIOS and there should be an option to activate an XMP file for the RAM. It will auto adjust to the factory settings with no problems.
m
l
December 6, 2009 12:25:31 AM

lol cut the cables good cable management (aka some zipties ) should take care of that and idk if this is true but ive heard that ATI is coming up with something to counter physx but honestly better performance , lower price , DX11 , and eyefinity and ready counters preety bad lol . but if u really want u can wait and see on nvidia's 3xx series if theyll ever come out lol
m
l
!