Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What happened hard drive prices?

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2011 2:59:48 AM

A few weeks ago newegg's hard drive prices were around $60-$70 for a decent drive.

I just checked the price of a hard drive that was once $70... and its now $150?!

And I looked at other hard drives... they're suddenly all over $100!!

Is it normal for them to be that expensive?
When I first began looking at hard drive prices, was it during some time of hard drive sale?

November 4, 2011 3:23:45 AM

All you care about are your hard drives?

Think about the damage to the people who have lost family members, their homes and their livelihoods.
Score
Related resources
November 4, 2011 4:10:57 AM

they don't need hard drives to rebuild their homes, but I do. If prices are gonna stay up they need to find a way to make them water proof this time imo
Score
November 4, 2011 6:03:34 AM

To RedStorm and alltheicons. I could tell you where to find a deal on some nice HDD's for a good price but you decided to be jerks and don't deserve it.
Score
November 9, 2011 6:26:56 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
To RedStorm and alltheicons. I could tell you where to find a deal on some nice HDD's for a good price but you decided to be jerks and don't deserve it.

im not a jerk and i could use a place to order reasonable price HD for my customers. I just had to call back to people that I quoted $95 and tell them that the price is now double that. i lowered my profit margin and my labor charges to try to adjust the price difference, but there just isnt that much mark up built in. I am going to lose alot of business. People cannot afford to repair at these prices. Thanks
Score
November 10, 2011 11:48:03 AM

Who cares about the floods everybody has their own problems mine being not being able to buy a cheap hard drive.....
Score
November 10, 2011 12:17:48 PM

It is because of the floods in Thailand. The Prices may rise more in the first quarter of 2012. Even Top Dealers haven't planned any back up for this problem.
Score
November 27, 2011 12:34:08 PM

I agree that the problems in Thailand in rebuilding their homes and business are worse than our problems with limited and costly supplies of hard drives and we need to be compassionate. But I also am worried about the sky-rocketing price of hard drives. I wrote a funny blog post about my situation of being rationed hard drives at the part stores for my Calgary computer repair shop. At least I hope it's funny.
Score
November 30, 2011 12:04:04 AM

debbiesweety said:
im not a jerk and i could use a place to order reasonable price HD for my customers. I just had to call back to people that I quoted $95 and tell them that the price is now double that. i lowered my profit margin and my labor charges to try to adjust the price difference, but there just isnt that much mark up built in. I am going to lose alot of business. People cannot afford to repair at these prices. Thanks

Debbie, it's unlikely you'll lose business, as everybody else is facing the same thing - where will your customers go? Down the street? They'll find the same situation there as well, no? It's like when the price of oil goes up - EVERYBODY pays an increased price for gas - nobody is any better off. Right? Just have to wait it out. -- john.
Score
!