Sign in with
Your question

M2N32 SLI Deluxe board with Phenom II 940, help with cooling!

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2010 7:04:14 AM

Hey everyone,

First a disclaimer: I am a complete noob to this type of stuff, and as such, I may use incorrect wording or terms.

I just recently put a Phenom II 940 into my old M2N32 SLI Deluxe board (knowing full well that it is not officially supported). All went well, no problems with installation or performance. (for the record I am doing no OC'ing)

The only issue I have is the temp. I idle around the mid to high 40s (45c - 49c) and under load I generall hit 60c - 65c, sometimes a little higher. I know AMD says that 62c is the max for this CPU. My brother (who is much more versed in comuters than I - he helped to install) seems to think that the temperatures are just being misread by the board as it is not officially supported. We used the nVidia System Monitor and Core Temp (they both report the same temp). I have experienced no stability issues or any problems at all - I tried an overnight Prime95 test, and no errors or problems. As well, I have not actually had any issues with any gaming or anything else for that matter.

However, I find it bothersome knowing that the temp might be actually running that high. My stock HSF is running at very high rates (generally in the low 4000 or high 3000 rpm in idle, and up to an annoying 5700 to 5800 rpm under load), so the fan gets rather noisy under load and it is very aggitating (there is a buzzing noise in the higher rates).

Anyways, this brings me to my questions. I am considering getting a 3rd party HSF for the CPU. The one I was looking at was the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Ive read some very good things about this one, so I was wondering if anyone could help me here:

1. Will the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 fit on my M2N23 SLI Deluxe board? the board has those heat pipes around the CPU area that might prove to be a problem. I obviously want the heat exhaust to be pointed at the rear or the case for exhaust purposes. Anyone know if this will work?

2. My case in the Antec Nine Hundred Two, will the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 fit in this case?

3. Ive read these large HSF's can be heavy, anyone know if that will be a problem with my motherboard?

4. Will the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 actually make a difference in my situation? Noise or cooling wise?

If anyone could give me any insight or possibly recommend any different HSF that might be bettter suited for my situation, Id be very appretiative. Thanks for reading my post!
February 13, 2010 7:05:18 AM

Sorry, that should read Phenom II x4 940.
m
l
February 21, 2010 7:39:01 PM

Hey, just thought this would be useful info for those in my situation - I ended getting the Xigmatek HSF and it has work wonders! It fit perfectly on my MoBo and in my case and has dropped my CPU temps down to high 30's idle and in the high 40's or low 50's on load (depending on how hot it is in the room at the time)

As an added bonus side effect, my GPU temp has also gone down about 10 degrees celsiuis since the addition of the Xigmatek. I think the old stock AMD HSF was pushing the hot air into my GPU, as I was also having some minor GPU heat issues at the time as well, but it immedietly stopped once I put this HSF in.

Oh, and it is very quiet! I can never hear it. As well, the stock HSF caused my case to vibrate slightly when in high rpm, but this one does not do that at all.

So if you are in a similar situation, I highly recommend the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (just resaearch your case and MoBo to make sure it will be a fit if you have something different than mine - the HSF is pretty big).
m
l
!