Sign in with
Your question

Trouble installing new Radeon HD 4850 video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2009 6:53:22 PM

Hey guys I was wondering if you all could help me with this vexing problem. I have an AMD anthalon x2 7750 dual core processor from HP. this HP computer came with an integrated card, which obviously is terrible. So today I went out and bought a new card (the radeon 4850).

However, every time I try to install it the computer will not recognize the card. Also, when I attempt to run the driver install from the packaged CD, the installer fails to initialize because it detects another video card.

Before I placed the card in the PCI slot I disabled the integrated card and uninstalled it from the Device management tab, and I have repeated the process of taking out the new video card and going through the motions of disabling and deleting the drivers for the integrated video card. I honestly can not understand why I am still unable to use my new card. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Sudarshan
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 7:16:32 PM

It seems like you are doing the right things, so let me ask the obvious:

Are these the steps you are following and in this order:
1. Uninstall old drivers.
2. Complete shut down
3. Restart and go to BIOS
4. Diasable integrated card and save settings.
5. Shutdown
6. Install new video card AND attach power connectors
7. Start up

Then do you get the new device install prompt or not? What specifically happens at this point?
m
l
December 4, 2009 7:20:09 PM

Well I tried going to BIOS but I am not sure what exactly I am turning off. The only options I seem to have are just changing which PCI slot it chooses for its display. I have tried using BIOS to have it use the only PCI x16 slot it has but I run into the same problem. Is there any particular phrase in BIOS I should be looking for?
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2009 7:21:52 PM

To follow up, I do not get the hardware wizard to cancel out of or anything like that. when I check what display card the computer is using, its something like Standard VGA display. j
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 9:54:47 PM

What model HP computer?

With some computers, you don't have to manually disable the integrated video. What do your instructions say you need to do to install a graphics card? (If you don't have a manual you can go to the HP website and download one).

The manual should also show how to disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS - whether or not necessary to do when installing a graphics card.

Another option you could try is to download the latest drivers for you card from the manufacturers site and try to install it.

I just recently installed an nVidia card that way (did not have to worry about integrated graphics tho because they had already been turned off). But after uninstalling the old drivers and shutting down and installing the card, I rebooted and the system started up using some basic Windows driver initially. When it the system was up and running, I ran the driver install program I had downloaded from nVidia earlier and it replaced the generic driver.
m
l
December 5, 2009 5:49:17 AM

Well, u can also disable the video adapter from the Control panel->Hardware and sound->Device manager (for win 7) same for others versions of windows with some other steps.If u are a bit unfriendly with Bios settings. Anyway, access the Device Manager in order to find that video adapter. Uninstall the driver an disable the item. Then follow steps 5-7 from rockyjohn.Plug that video card into the pci express slot,plug the power connectors,plug the vga cable to the vga port or dvi with adapter, power the machine and then drivers thing from the disc or AMD site.

BTW Wat are the PSU specs?
m
l
December 5, 2009 8:10:19 AM

Downloading the driver from ATI did the trick! Thanks so much, just got back from work but it seems odd that the CD given with the video card had bad drivers.
m
l
!