Sign in with
Your question

Older Dual Core System -- Is a video upgrade worth it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2009 7:01:10 PM

Hey guys I'm puzzled over what I should do with my AGP system. I read that the older dual core systems handle the newer video cards much better than the old single cores. I don't have enough money for a new system and my pc is running Team Fortress 2 really slowly. I also read that people are having trouble getting driver support for win7 with some of these cards. I still run XP but might consider an upgrade sometime.

Thanks!

I have :

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (OC'ed to 2.20 ghz)

Nvidia 7800 GS (AGP)

2 gigs of ram

400 watt psu
December 4, 2009 7:17:07 PM

if you plan to run windows 7 then it's definitely not worth it just to upgrade your video card. you should considering doing a full system upgrade for windows 7. if you plan on sticking with winXP then get one of the ATI AGP cards out there (providing you have a big enough power supply).
m
l
December 4, 2009 7:24:44 PM

well like pinaplex said if ure running xp u should be fine, if u want it to run faster u can pick up a new ati card, while ure at it u could add some more ram and bump up to 64 bit xp. u should see an overall improvement. im running one of the new i7's on one of my computers and i still run xp lol
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 7:36:05 PM

The fastest cards around for AGP are the HD3850 and HD4670 and according to this handy chart are of equal performance:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review...

I would go for the newer HD4670 though: It has lower power consumption and better DVD/HD decode.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2009 7:47:25 PM

I agree, don't bother with Windows 7 with that machine. Especially if you get a new AGP card -- those things are known for sketchy driver issues even with XP and Vista, so you'd be inviting trouble.

If you do get an AGP card, I'd say the HD3850 if you have an 8-pin or a 6+2 power connector free ... even though it recommends 450W power supply, it shouldn't come anywhere close to that.

In the likely event that you don't have an 8-pin connector, then the HD4670 is probably the best you can do.

But yes, either one is going to be a significant upgrade over what you've got, and will at least keep that machine relevant until you can afford a new system.
m
l
December 4, 2009 8:18:36 PM

curtisag said:
Hey guys I'm puzzled over what I should do with my AGP system. I read that the older dual core systems handle the newer video cards much better than the old single cores. I don't have enough money for a new system and my pc is running Team Fortress 2 really slowly. I also read that people are having trouble getting driver support for win7 with some of these cards. I still run XP but might consider an upgrade sometime.

Thanks!

I have :

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (OC'ed to 2.20 ghz)

Nvidia 7800 GS (AGP)

2 gigs of ram

400 watt psu

I'm confused, why is the 7800GS so slow? Even my 8600M GT (which is about equal to a 7600 GT) runs Team Fortress 2 just fine, even at fairly high res. It's not stellar, but it is decent when I am on the road.
m
l
December 5, 2009 12:05:49 AM

Well, as I recall when I bough the 7800 GS it was the slowest one available with only 128 megs of ram (I think). I get about 15-30 fps depending on how much is going on in the game. It's really annoying when it drops below 25. I have the core overclocked to 400 and the memory is about 1200 mhz. I just don't know.
m
l
!