Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Checking your thermal paste ruins it?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 17, 2012 6:16:56 PM

I've seen quite a few recommendations from people that, after you have applied the thermal paste to your cpu and mounted the heatsink, you should remove it and check the imprint of the paste to make sure you have enough coverage.

Wouldn't this completely negate the purpose of the TIM? The whole point is trying to minimize air pockets, so when you mount the heatsink the first time the action of the TIM spreading pushes out all the air. But if you REMOVE the heatsink and then plop it right back on, the two layers of TIM will trap air when they come back together, with nothing to push the air out.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 6:19:25 PM

Sound logic,
once its on its on in my eyes,
you make sure you lay it to get good coverage before putting the waterblock/heatsink on
Moto
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 6:26:22 PM

Yes it ruins it, you broke the thermal bond.

I've never heard of anyone removing the heatsink to check the imprint of the paste.

If you follow the directions on the package, you'll have enough coverage.
Related resources
a c 124 à CPUs
a c 92 K Overclocking
May 17, 2012 6:27:31 PM

BVKnight said:
I've seen quite a few recommendations from people that, after you have applied the thermal paste to your cpu and mounted the heatsink, you should remove it and check the imprint of the paste to make sure you have enough coverage.

I have always taken that to be a method to get a representitive idea of spread, a reapplication would follow.
BVKnight said:

Wouldn't this completely negate the purpose of the TIM? The whole point is trying to minimize air pockets, so when you mount the heatsink the first time the action of the TIM spreading pushes out all the air. But if you REMOVE the heatsink and then plop it right back on, the two layers of TIM will trap air when they come back together, with nothing to push the air out.

Yes it would - I wouldn't do that
m
l
May 27, 2012 12:26:03 AM

Best answer selected by BVKnight.
m
l
!