Sign in with
Your question

Selecting a Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
June 14, 2010 3:55:08 PM
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 4:04:33 PM

Should be a good fit -- It also has USB3.0 ans SATA 6GB/s support for future upgrades as well -- and it never hurts to have the Onboard GPU just in case you ever have problems with your GPU and need to run the system while waiting for an RMA or new one !! (also can come in handy for those times you might need to reflash a Bios on the GPU !)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 7:34:09 PM

Agreed. That looks like the best choice for your price range, and I'd gladly take a board with onboard graphics over one without it. For what you're using, it would be nice to have x16/x16 crossfire, but for your price range, it's basically out of the question. The next best thing would be the MSI 790FX-GD70, but it's a good deal higher priced. It's also a good deal better, and is what I've got in my system right now. It'll do anything up to Quad CFX, if you have a case big enough to hold 4 dual-slot cards.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Your call. There's nothing at all wrong with that Asus, other than the x8/x8 CFX. It's around a 30% performance penalty if you ever get a second 5850 :??: 
Good luck. :D 
m
l
Related resources
June 14, 2010 7:58:50 PM

While I think Crossfire's a great idea I don't really think that I'll need it. From what I've been reading the HD 5850's a strong enough card to be able to play my games (Bad Company 2, Starcraft 2, Just Cause 2 etc.) at high settings, and that's really all I need it for. I definitely like the integrated GPU as well, just in case my 5850 busts on me. Thanks for the help!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 14, 2010 11:36:15 PM

Yeah, you're probably right... heck, my little 5770's almost enough to completely max out Just Cause 2 at a reasonable resolution, although I use 'almost' very loosely in that case. I'd say a single 5850 on that ASUS board will serve you well. :)  I like the fact that it has USB 3.0 and SATA 6GB/s, too... that will probably help a lot more with future-proofing your system than Crossfire would.
m
l
June 16, 2010 4:29:12 AM

well my monitor's native resolution is 1680 x 1050 so I'm sure I'll have no problems :) 
m
l
!