Parents want a new system

neoshi

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Between now and a week before Christmas Eve

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800): 400-500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surfing, streaming video and radio, Flight Simulator X, pictures.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, Speakers, DVD/CDRW drive, HDD, case, PSU? (Plan on using Enermax ELT500AWT with a Thermaltake Power Express 250W GFX PSU, but I'm not sure this will be enough for the vid card).

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, ZZF, whereever cheap with a good return/exchange program really.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: California, USA (Darn taxes!)

PARTS PREFERENCES: FSX is supposedly Intel architecture biased ($$$$!), but if you can recommend from experience a good AMD setup, I wouldn't mind since it's cheaper.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is a gift because they are currently on my own 1997 build and that thing cannot keep running reliably. They honestly don't spend that much time on the computer, but they want it to be fast for anything. Gaming is less important, but my dad likes Flight Simulator, so CPU is probably most important, then RAM, then GPU (I was thinking a GTS 250 is sufficient since he doesn't really care about any other games, and I'll probably tweak FSX to run at his system's level). Oh, and they need Windows 7.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important question is if the ELT500AWT + Thermaltake Power Express 250W GFX PSU will run the GTS 250 reliably. Remember that the Thermaltake Power Express 250W is a DEDICATED GFX PSU. All else needs to be problem free for the next half decade at least!

Thanks!

kgaq.jpg

neoshi

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
hmm i think i'll pay the extra 40 bucks for the 965BE then. so you don't think my psu option would be sufficient? thanks batuchka

also, any recommendations on a cooler sufficient to push the 965BE to 4.2Ghz if needed?

Nope best upgrade PSU ^^ That is a very high clock to aim for and to get close u need a very high end air cooler (few make it that high on air) so for budget purposes and looking at the other component of the game this is unneeded and would blow your budget as i showed the benches for Full HD while u gaming at just 1280 x 1024 :p

neoshi

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Ok. Yeah I just saw a deal at circuitcity.com for a XFX HD 4890 for ~$150 so I realized that I would have to change anyway :lol: I doubt they need a DX11 card.. I hope...

Gotcha. I probably won't OC anyway, so I'll just stick to the stock cooler for now. Thanks!

neoshi

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
ok batuchka, my parents changed the budget to $300. they figure $100 per year for 3 years is good enough and then another new system after 3 years. i guess that makes sense since my $1k builds usually last about a decade with upgrades along the way.

so the $300 budget does not need a PSU, as i already bought a 700W enermax for $60.

i'm thinking instead of a gts 250, just get them a 9800 GTX+ (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4385460&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs) since it has performance similar to the GTS 250 and I can get it for $83 shipped.

the rest ill stick to your mobo but i might change the cpu still. probably not a 965BE though.