Sign in with
Your question

New NAS from existing PC

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2011 2:37:27 PM

Hi all,

I am recent to this NAS/ file server... recently 2 of my external hard drive failed ...i lost all my data...so searching around i found the NAS ... so here i am...i only want to do two things if possible...

1) Store my imp files...videos and pictures with RIAD hopefully i can get back all my data.
2) To stream videos from the NAS server...

I already have following machine...is there anything else needs to be added except some hard drives to install on it

I already have the following machine... i am making this as a NAS server now and keeping the new one as the regular PC...thining to get an external raid hardware card

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

More about : nas existing

November 7, 2011 6:46:01 AM

Ok that's way overkill on several levels. Do you already have this HW present or are you purchasing it new?

There is absolutely nothing special about the three letters N A and S together, it's a file server plain and simple. Since your running this at home I'm going to assume a rather low usage level of less then 15 connections at any point in time. You don't need a powerful CPU nor a powerful PSU for that.

If your building this from scratch then I have some recommendations, if your cobbling it together and re-utilizing older HW then you'll have to make due with what you have. Also how important is your electrical bill to you? I say this because this machine will be running 24/7 and constantly drawing power. It won't go into standby mode and it won't be powering itself down to conserve electricity. The electrical bill could be more expensive then the HW over a year or three.
m
l
Related resources
November 7, 2011 2:43:28 PM

I agree with palladin, here are some recent items on newegg that I've come across that fit the bill. (By the way none of your links work, not sure if its just me)

380W certified psu (price was excellent)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

lga 1155 with usb 3.0

sandy bridge dual core celeron

You could certainly go with a 80-150W fanless for better operating efficiency (90%+) but will cost you more, the psu I found was simply cheap and effective for the load.
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:24:06 PM

Using a SB is still over kill for what he's trying to do.

Awhile back they did a BestConfigs poll for NAS (really just home file server).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317197-31-bestconfigs...

-=From Link=-

Quote:
Palladin's Home Server

Processor: Via Nano 1.6Ghz
Motherboard: Jetway Via Nano JNC74-2007 $119.99
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 10600 $30.99
Graphics Card: Onboard Via Chrome IGP
Hard Drive: WDigital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVT 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5 inch notebook HDD, $46.99
Case: Morex 2766 Expandable Mini-ITX case $82.50
Power Supply: Included in case.
Cooling: Included in case / mobo
DVD Burner: Not used.

Storage System:
MediaSonic PRORAID 4 Bay eSATA / USB 3.0 enclosure 199.99
WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 $59.99 x 4
Optional Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 $79.99 x 4
SATA to eSATA bracket, required for to connect the Media Sonic Enclosure 6.99

Total Cost of Storage Subsystem: $446.85

Cost of System without Disks: $487.45 (Cheaper then Commercial "NAS" solutions" )
Cost of System with 4x1TB disks: $727.32
Cost of System with 4x2TB disks: $807.41

Now prices have since gone down on several of the components.

This system use's less then 40w for the main system and less then 40~60w for the HDD enclosure. It sips power and still provides you 24/7 1Gbps file storage access. You can replace the Nano with one of the AMD ITX products (E350 most likely) but I'd stay as far away from Atom's as you possibly can.

The enclosure is important because it removes the HDD's from your system and provides HW RAID. Should there ever be a problem you can directly connect the enclosure over eSATA or USB 3.0 to your desktop and still access your data. Otherwise the server will treat it like a large high speed SATA HDD.
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:21:25 PM

palladin9479 said:
Ok that's way overkill on several levels. Do you already have this HW present or are you purchasing it new?

There is absolutely nothing special about the three letters N A and S together, it's a file server plain and simple. Since your running this at home I'm going to assume a rather low usage level of less then 15 connections at any point in time. You don't need a powerful CPU nor a powerful PSU for that.

If your building this from scratch then I have some recommendations, if your cobbling it together and re-utilizing older HW then you'll have to make due with what you have. Also how important is your electrical bill to you? I say this because this machine will be running 24/7 and constantly drawing power. It won't go into standby mode and it won't be powering itself down to conserve electricity. The electrical bill could be more expensive then the HW over a year or three.

I already have this ... 2 years ago i created this PC costed me 400$ that time... now i am thinking to upgrade my current pc...so this guy is huge..so thinking i can only use it as NAS now ..thats why asked if i can use it as NAS....

i agree electricity bill might come huge so i need to reconfigure things....i will look into link and see what configuration i can come up with...

I might want to stream some Blu ray from it down the line...thats all

thanks for the help
m
l
November 12, 2011 3:26:44 AM

palladin9479 said:
Using a SB is still over kill for what he's trying to do.

Awhile back they did a BestConfigs poll for NAS (really just home file server).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317197-31-bestconfigs...

-=From Link=-

Quote:
Palladin's Home Server

Processor: Via Nano 1.6Ghz
Motherboard: Jetway Via Nano JNC74-2007 $119.99
RAM: Crucial 4GB DDR3 10600 $30.99
Graphics Card: Onboard Via Chrome IGP
Hard Drive: WDigital Scorpio Blue WD2500BEVT 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5 inch notebook HDD, $46.99
Case: Morex 2766 Expandable Mini-ITX case $82.50
Power Supply: Included in case.
Cooling: Included in case / mobo
DVD Burner: Not used.

Storage System:
WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 $59.99 x 4
Optional Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5 $79.99 x 4
SATA to eSATA bracket, required for to connect the Media Sonic Enclosure 6.99

Total Cost of Storage Subsystem: $446.85

Cost of System without Disks: $487.45 (Cheaper then Commercial "NAS" solutions" )
Cost of System with 4x1TB disks: $727.32
Cost of System with 4x2TB disks: $807.41

Now prices have since gone down on several of the components.

This system use's less then 40w for the main system and less then 40~60w for the HDD enclosure. It sips power and still provides you 24/7 1Gbps file storage access. You can replace the Nano with one of the AMD ITX products (E350 most likely) but I'd stay as far away from Atom's as you possibly can.

The enclosure is important because it removes the HDD's from your system and provides HW RAID. Should there ever be a problem you can directly connect the enclosure over eSATA or USB 3.0 to your desktop and still access your data. Otherwise the server will treat it like a large high speed SATA HDD.

I just thought this is the best solution for me.... my question is i need to build an HTPC too...

is there anyway possible i can connect this RAID Storage device wirelessly to the Palladin's Home Server which can act as HTPC too... so that your server can work both ways ... just thinking out loud...

can this storage device be connected wireless to the network or do i really need a Palladin's Home Server that is exclusive to this storage device...

i guess what i am asking is...is there any other equipment which can be used

instead which has a LAN interface so i dont need to use the file server...
Thanks
V
m
l
November 12, 2011 7:07:34 AM

Posting the same question i posted in another forum....

i have made a PC 2 years ago with following components...

CPU:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3

RAM:

A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

hard Drive :

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Power : 700 W

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

now i am making this as a File server aka NAS with windows home server 2011 and then stream to xbox 360... my questions is...

Q 1: Is this good enough for streaming BLU ray.... and other media files to the Xbox 360....

Q 2: I am creating this as a RAID now...do i need a RAID card or can i use mobo internal raid and just get internal hard drives and start creating raid...

here i want to add i am still thinking to add the enclosure and add this to this PC.....

Q3: i think i will replace the power supply as it is way too much for server which will be up 24 x7 most of the time....what power supply should i get it..

thanks for all the help...
m
l
a c 76 G Storage
November 17, 2011 7:45:03 PM

Follow the similar set up - you will get a lower and and high transfer rate...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server...

Keep in mind - TWO things that will make your DIY NAS fast...

1) Intel GbE NIC
2) Hardware RAID

With this TWO things your NAS can use Pentium4 mobile processor, it still runs fast (up to 90MB/s)
Yes that's right big B not small b :-)
m
l
November 17, 2011 8:14:26 PM

FireWire2 said:
Follow the similar set up - you will get a lower and and high transfer rate...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265641-32-40tb-server...

Keep in mind - TWO things that will make your DIY NAS fast...

1) Intel GbE NIC
2) Hardware RAID

With this TWO things your NAS can use Pentium4 mobile processor, it still runs fast (up to 90MB/s)
Yes that's right big B not small b :-)

Not to go against you but what i want to keep my existing setup...and use it as NAS and Media streaming device...

you think the current system i have will work with a nice raid card....as i do see the CPU is more then enough to run the system...

How much is the cost of the system to built if i ahve to built the system....minus the hard drives.. just the bare system which you have made..

m
l
a c 76 G Storage
November 17, 2011 9:06:01 PM

indianguyinny24 said:
Not to go against you but what i want to keep my existing setup...and use it as NAS and Media streaming device...

you think the current system i have will work with a nice raid card....as i do see the CPU is more then enough to run the system...

Your system is WAY overkill :-) in term of CPU and MB.
You don't need a expensive raid card. Often those cards drivers are not included in with release kernel

Just like my case, I have a ARC-1880ix16 BIOS see the card, 96TB RAID volume reports normal, but it wont show up in FreeNAS disk manager. I have to load the arcmrs.ko manually.

If i was you, here is what I will do:

Buy a new SSD and bulit a new computer with the existing hardware, just for ripping, compress, and manage media content
With a NEW SSD, your system will run VERY Fast

Then get a ATOM mini-ITX to built a NAS with SATA hardware raid controller I'd mention

At the end you will have a FAST computer and lower power consumption and FAST NAS

But again, that is my opinion :-)
m
l
November 17, 2011 11:19:07 PM

FireWire2 said:
You don't need a expensive raid card. Often those cards drivers are not included in with release kernel

Just like my case, I have a ARC-1880ix16 BIOS see the card, 96TB RAID volume reports normal, but it wont show up in FreeNAS disk manager. I have to load the arcmrs.ko manually.

Buy a new SSD and bulit a new computer with the existing hardware, just for ripping, compress, and manage media content

Then get a ATOM mini-ITX to built a NAS with SATA hardware raid controller I'd mention

At the end you will have a FAST computer and lower power consumption and FAST NAS

well i will update you what kinda RAID controller i am planning to buy.....

also how much your setup will cost btw...
m
l
November 18, 2011 12:18:32 AM

FireWire2 said:

Almost correct,

AVOID the Intel Atom's like the plague. Their barely stronger then a cell phone CPU and in some cased their worse. Go with the AMD E350 or Via Nano. And while Intel likes to showcase the Atom's 8W power usage, what they don't show is the platforms power usage is comparable to AMD/Via or in some cases worse. Also for your server use a picoPSU, their absolutely amazing.
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:13:18 AM

palladin9479 said:
Almost correct,

AVOID the Intel Atom's like the plague. Their barely stronger then a cell phone CPU and in some cased their worse. Go with the AMD E350 or Via Nano. And while Intel likes to showcase the Atom's 8W power usage, what they don't show is the platforms power usage is comparable to AMD/Via or in some cases worse. Also for your server use a picoPSU, their absolutely amazing.

Palladin,

Thanks for reply....

after reading your replies... i have putted my PC on sale on ebay....

for NAS and other i am gonna follow your advice with external storage and AMD E-350 based system....

Now to create a new PC i am going towars Mini Itx ....will upload a configuration soon...

V
m
l
a c 76 G Storage
November 18, 2011 5:51:59 PM

indianguyinny24 said:
well i will update you what kinda RAID controller i am planning to buy.....

also how much your setup will cost btw...

Here is the cost of my system
Dual Core Four thread - Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.8GHz, Gb NIC @ $85.00
Memory 1GB @ $20.00
SPM393 @ $119.00 <--- this will work, but I have SPM394 @ $210.00 with LCD look pretty awesome!

Without HDD the total cost is $315 with SPM394, where with SPM393 is cost $224.00

Transfer over 70MB/sec is a norm to me, while it at heavy traffic: download, streaming and copying all at once, the most I can see the CPU get up to 68%, otherwise is idle 1%, 2%

Like I said, with HW raid, there is not much CPU req'd... You can use ANY CPU even with Celeron for that matter

I have good luck with Intel chip set (not CPU) with FreeNAS, OpenFiler, OpenE...
m
l
November 22, 2011 6:13:36 PM

Here is the case ,mobo, hard drive and power i came up with....

right now creating RAID 5 with 3 2TB hard drive and when hard drive go cheap i will add 3 ..3TB raid 5 hard drive with total of 4 + 6 =10 Tb of file server...

e-350 -- http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-GA-E350&c=C...

Case -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hard drive : will take the hard drive out of this external hard drive... got 3 external hard drive very cheap couldnt figure out anywhere i can get 2tb cheaper tthen this and saw oin you tube you can take out the hard drive...

http://www.staples.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-2TB-Ext...

power : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have 8 Gb RAM lying around will use that so far this setup has costed me

also i see the case has total of 6 hard drive case... can i put a 2.5 hdd and use it as a WHS and put it or fit it near the external bay...or i think i can use FREE NAS on USB...but heard lot of issues with E-350 board....

total 407$ including 3 2TB hard drive...

i just want to ask my budget being around $130 what RAID card i should buy....will the SPM 393 fit the bill as i will have total of 6 drives and in that it has only 5 ports... ....or can i get some choices...

OR

Can i save money and install FREENAS 8 with ZFS and use the RAID5Z ....becuase most of time i will be streaming movies from the server to Xbox 360 or music thats all... i am thinking once a week i be writing to the server...

any inputs..

again thanks guy for all the help....
m
l
a c 76 G Storage
November 23, 2011 5:04:15 PM

There is no other hardware raid controller is lower cost than SPM393
The MB looks good, i like the 4x SATA2 ports, this mean you can have 20x HDD via SPM393

On the ZFS... I dont know what it takes to do all the calculation of the RAID5Z... It appears Drobo have a similar and it's slow

If you are go for the ZFS then beef up the CPU
m
l
!