Black screen after installing graphic card!!!!

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
i just brought the geforce 7300 GT AGP card. After I install the card into my motherboard and plug in my monitor cable into my video card port, my screen just went black. But when I plug it back to the original port, it went back to fine. My power supply is 400 watt and i had already disabled my integrated video card. What might be the problem?

Usually, you will have to go into the BIOS menu at startup and disable it there.

Also, if you're messing around in the device manager: Whatever you do, don't disable something called "vgasave." That's listed under video devices in the device manager, and is basically what keeps your display going if the onboard video is disabled and the new card doesn't have the drivers installed yet. If that happens, you'll always get to the Windows startup screen and then everything will go black, although the system will actually load like normal behind it. If that's what you did, you'll have to reboot in safe mode to get video, and then go and re-enable vgasave.

That may not be what you did, but I'm just saying on the off chance, because THAT is an experience you do not want to go through without knowing how to get out of.

dfox90

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
ok i got a nvidia 220 i had a raedeon x1300 i deleted the driver for the 1300 and now nothing works after the windows logo comes up the screen goes black and i switched it back to the onboard too and did that and still nothing and i also tried to run it in safe mode and it stops loading