Cannot Create Partition

mguessmes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Using a new Windows 7 64 bit PC, I'm trying to partition and mount a new internal 2GB SATA hard drive.

I've tried Disk Management. A message pops up, saying I need to initialize, and I choose MBR and click OK. Then, still in Disk Management, I right-click on the new, unallocated disk, and select New Simple Volume. I leave everything as default and click Finish. It's supposed to then format as NTFS and mount as a drive letter. Instead, it thinks a while, and then pops up a message that says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to date." Refreshing the view, rescaning disks, restarting the console, rebooting the computer, disabling/re-enabling the drive do not fix the issue.

I've also tried the command line utility, DiskPart. I select the disk, and then "create partition primary". It hangs a while, and then says "Virtual Disk Service error: The operation timed out. DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date." Sounds like the same issue as Disk Management.

Sometimes running either of these utilities will also result in a BSOD.

I can format, partition, and mount the hard drive in another PC just fine, in seconds. But when I then transfer the hard drive to my PC, DiskPart and Disk Management recognize the partition, but as DiskPart says "there is no volume associated with this partition." It's as if the file system is incompatible. But the formatting was done on a similar Windows 7 machine.

It's not a bad hard drive. I've tried this now with 3 separate, brand new drives, all with the same results.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

mguessmes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Solved.

Thanks, rolli59. I swapped the inputs for my 2 drives, and that did the trick.

My Windows drive was Disk 1, and I was trying to format the new drive on Disk 0. Apparently that won't work, and now I feel silly. I do wish the Windows tools would handle that a little better though, instead of timing out and causing errors, but it was my fault.

Correction: 2 TB drive, not 2 gig.