Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Silent CPU water cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
May 18, 2012 12:58:47 PM

Hi, this post is also in CPUs & Components but that might not be the right place.... So

What's the best CPU water cooler that will be near silent at load and equal or out perform a Zalman 9900.

Budget is maxed at $200 but would prefer about $130-140.

It's to be fitted to a i7 950 currently running at 4GHz but I'd like to increase that to 4.4 or 4.5. The Zalman can run the CPU at 4.2 stable but at load it starts to get hot, and at 4.3 it's unstable.

Would a Corsair H80 with 2 aftermarket quiet fans do it? I have a HAF 922 case which allows for 'some' water cooling but it's not specifically designed for it. I think the H80 will fit.

Also, not many people talk as much about water cooling as they seemed to 2 years ago, is it going out of favour with newer CPU technology? If so should I wait till I upgrade to a lower nm CPU...

My idea is to upgrade about half my box every 12-18 months so solutions should be able to travel to a new Mobo/CPU which I think will be next. Current GPUs and ths SSD a few days ago is my first major upgrade.

Thanks

P.S. I'm not against a non- kit cooler system (I could build it) if someone wants to advise and link guides that they recommend etc as it could then be mounted externally out of sight behind the case (the HAF 922 allows for it at least)

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 3:05:03 PM

Shopping Cart
Item Options Unit Price Qty. In Stock Cost
XSPC RayStorm CPU WaterBlock (Intel) - LGA 2011 Compatible [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $49.99
$49.99
Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Watercooling Pump w/Tach Sensor [remove]
$69.99
$69.99
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm Radiator - Matte Black [remove]
• Choose your fittings : No Fittings $46.99
$46.99
Tygon 2375 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Ultra Chemical Resistant Tubing # AJK00027 [remove]
$2.35
$23.50
Bitspower G 1/4in. True Brass Fitting for 3/8in. Tubing #BP-TBWP-C02 [remove]
$1.75
$7.00
Arctic Cooling Arctic F8 80x25mm PWM High Performance Case Fan [remove]
$3.99
$11.97
Blue Fan Adapter - 80 to 120mm [remove]
$1.99
$5.97

Subtotal: $215.41
Total: $215.41

it can be done at sidewinder computers for jest over $200 and that is the cheapest that one could be built today. cpu only for this build but with the products that i have chosen you can upgrade later by jest adding to the system on need to replace any of the parts.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 5:14:21 PM

I doubt that the instability has to do with cooling unless it's hitting near 80C at load. Most often, instability during overclocking has to do with the actual settings made int he BIOS or actual hardware shortcomings.

Corsair units, while technically a liquid cooler aren't exactly what we consider watercooling. It's pretty close, though. Also- don't assume that an H80 is going to be quieter than your current Zalman. In order for it to work and compete with good air cooling, Corsair units will require the fans to run a pretty high speeds to provide similar cooling results...not exactly 'quiet'. Actual watercooling noise depends on radiators and fans chosen, but you are also looking at significantly more in costs.
Related resources
May 18, 2012 5:16:46 PM

Thanks toolmaker, I'll try to find the components at my Australian supplier and come back with a few questions.

I do have 3 now thou

Why an 80 fan requiring a converter to 120 rather than 120s
Is the triple 120 radiator driven by low speed fans what I'd need to cool the higher oc on my card
Is a pwm reqd or is it the best, it's the 4 pin not 3 right

Thanks again
May 18, 2012 5:40:49 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I doubt that the instability has to do with cooling unless it's hitting near 80C at load. Most often, instability during overclocking has to do with the actual settings made int he BIOS or actual hardware shortcomings.

Corsair units, while technically a liquid cooler aren't exactly what we consider watercooling. It's pretty close, though. Also- don't assume that an H80 is going to be quieter than your current Zalman. In order for it to work and compete with good air cooling, Corsair units will require the fans to run a pretty high speeds to provide similar cooling results...not exactly 'quiet'. Actual watercooling noise depends on radiators and fans chosen, but you are also looking at significantly more in costs.

Hey rubix, thanks

At 4.3 100% load I was hitting 84 or 85C I think, I'd have to look back at my oc logs. I know it wouldn't pass testing for more than 2 to 3 minutes. I do have the low rpm resistor on the Zalman to reduce rpm/noise. At night as a HTPC I need the pc super quiet so with the volume really low I can hear everything on the soundtrack and don't wake my girl if she's asleep.

My bios settings might not be right, I followed the guides in home pc builders tuts, but it could also be my Mobo limiting it, ASUS p6x58d-e, but not sure...

I can understand toolmakers logic thou of a triple radiator and low speed fans.... A bit why I chose the 922 case with 200 mm low rpm fans.

I understand what you say about the H80 now, so it's not a good choice.

Keep the advice coming, I'll finish getting an understanding of the recommended parts thus far so I can ask a few intelligent q's :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 7:01:28 PM

1) expense of the project 3.99 for fans is cheap, and shrouds for .99 a peace that $3 total, that is unheard of, normal fans shrouds for 120 mm fans are $20 for all 3 fans.
2) & 3) they are PWM fans that's 4 pins, but they will operate on 3 pin as well, so that you can slow them down with the mother board headers when at idol, as temps increase the fan speeds will increase, its only 3 fans, so most mother boards should have the headers for them. my mother board has 6 headers total, but I don't use any of them, I use fan controllers, but that adds to the cost.

the shrouded fans in a pull position from the radiator will outperform the push\pull setup.

a c 180 à CPUs
a c 130 K Overclocking
May 18, 2012 7:48:21 PM

Quote:
Also, not many people talk as much about water cooling as they seemed to 2 years ago, is it going out of favour with newer CPU technology? If so should I wait till I upgrade to a lower nm CPU..

In a word .... "yes"

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
It's almost ironic that coolers like this are becoming available just as processors transition to designs that may ultimately render them unnecessary; even overclocked to 5GHz, an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K doesn't need anywhere near this level of cooling.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe...

The H series from Corsair (made by Asetek) is what I like to refer to as "Faux Water Cooling". Nice idea or intro if you will to water cooling but as it simply does not perform better than the premium air to air coolers, I see no value to it whatsoever as can be seen in the page before the above link.

Quote:
It's to be fitted to a i7 950 currently running at 4GHz but I'd like to increase that to 4.4 or 4.5.

That's a challenge.

http://www.overclock.net/t/893919/i7-950-need-help-to-r...

http://www.overclock.net/t/931055/help-beginner-with-i7...

May 30, 2012 3:32:42 PM

Best answer selected by darreng101.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 30, 2012 4:13:21 PM

thanks man
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 2:33:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
!