Sign in with
Your question

HTPC Configuration

Last response: in Systems
December 3, 2009 5:03:20 AM

I'm looking for a good Multimedia PC - Budget can go max to INR 70K (Hardware + Software) - for use at my Mumbai residence.

** Would prefer the case to as sleek as possible and should fit into 7.9"Height X 17.5"Width X 17.8"Depth area in my computer table -- placed on base / sides. Currently I like Antec Fusion Remote Max (need to place it sideways in the above mentioned area) but open for other cases as well.
** Would like to make it as dual-boot with Windows 7 & Linux (is Ubuntu good or something else?)... Would like some recommendations on HDD size & partitions keeping this in mind plz...
** Note that I have External HDD WD320GB & WD250GB... So would consider 500GB HDD but ok to get a 1TB now itself (considering the price is not high... Should HDD be in RAID config? (My earlier laptop had a hard-drive crash 2 yrs back & I lost all old data) OR should it be 2 HDD of 500 GB each?
** I also have LiteOn LH-16A1P487C (bought in 2006) apart from a Wireless Logitech Keyboard & Mouse -- would like to use them unless there is a definite reason to go for newer ones
** Is it ok to use this DVD Writer itself or is a new BDDrive recommended (either as additional drive or as the only drive)?
** Given the powercuts in Mumbai, I already have APC HI800SQ (http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...se_sku=HI800SQ) at home -- is it safe to assume I don't need any additional UPS?
** Would ~22 inch LCD Monitor good enough? -- AOC2230FM or AOC2236VW or some other model -- which is recommended? HD compatibility is preferred...
** Would like an option for TV Tuner & Remote
** Inbuild normal speakers are ok since I'll use my Philips HTS 3105-98 for multimedia
** If possible would prefer 1 or 2 USB ports, Headphone jack & microphone jack in the front of the case
** Definitely at the back, would require 4 USB ports, 1 VGA Connector, Ethernet port, Line In & Line Out and S-Video port... Would like suggestions on whether HDMI or other multimedia related ports recommended...
** Would require the Modem as well as Wireless solution available
** Is it possible to have a 19-in-1 Hi Speed Media Card as well (something like what's in Dell Inspiron 545) ?
** On the software front, the budget will need to consider Windows 7, MS Office 2007 Home Edition.
** Is Lotus Notes client available for single user purchase? If so that will be required too. If that is not available, I would require MS Outlook too (ie, in which case, MS Office 2007 will be Standard and not Home Edition) along with IBM Lotus Domino Access for MS Outlook -- Hope the domino access is available for separate purchase...
** On the security front, Would Kaspersky + Spybot + Windows Defender + Windows Firewall suffice? Or is some commercial product like Norton / Symantec / McAfee suggested?
** While this might be used for some occasional gaming by my family, its not required to be high-end gaming rig.
** What are the recommendations for Motherboard, Processor (Intel Core i5?), Video & Graphics card, RAM, etc?

Would greatly appreciate your recommendations..

More about : htpc configuration

December 3, 2009 7:38:48 AM

Reading your intended task i do not see the need for excessive processing power (and the heat generation) but the choice of casing is key. Flatbed casings may fit the bill but severely limit you in GPU selection in case your family's gaming needs becomes more intense as these sort of casings could only house low profile cards and those are entry level and mid at most for the most part and won't give u a lot of frames in games :p  Why not go shoebox and possibly remove a partition in your shelf? I would hit a juicy 23" Full HD at the very least too :p  The multi media experience get a few notches more pleasurable with a nice big display hehe
December 3, 2009 7:43:51 AM

On top of my head and since i am unsure of h/w prices where u at i would think

A2X3 425 with possible undervolt in BIOS or PhenomMsrTweaker
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22...
AM3/DDR3 785G mATX with SPDIF out/HDMI
2-4 GB DDR3 1333
Samsung F3 500GB/1TB
Aerocool M40/Silverstone SG-02F/Ultra Fly case/Chenming Clone shoebox
80+ modular PSU 380-450 W

add a discrete GPU if your gamings needs become more intense ^^ The HD 5750/5770 and the incoming 5670 would be prime candidates hehe
Related resources
December 3, 2009 10:57:09 AM

Aha PB up again - what i meant:

However the L X B fits your specs the height is the issue

If with some slight alterations a 9.1" tall case in shelf is fine then bingo hehe
December 9, 2009 12:12:19 PM

After some more research, came across a configuration being recommended in another site.

Would like to hear some feedback & suggestions on the below -- above requirements do remain...

• CPU: Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz 3MB L2 LGA775
• CPU Cooler: Xigmatek NEPARTAK S983
• Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA775 Intel P45 chipset ATX OR ASRock N7AD-SLI LGA775 nForce 740i SLI MCP ATX
• Memory: A-DATA ADQVE1B16K DDR2-800 2 x 2GB Kit
• Graphics Card (ATI): SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4670 DDR3 1GB OR Graphics Card (NVIDIA): XFX GT-220X-ZNF2 GeForce GT 220 DDR2 1GB
• HDD: Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA 3.0Gbps
• PSU: Enermax PRO82+ 525W EPR525AWT OR Corsair VX550W CMPSU-550VX 550W
• Case: Antec Fusion Remote Max ATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote

* Is this good?
* Any feedback?
December 9, 2009 12:15:10 PM

batuchka said:
Aha PB up again - what i meant:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/ansl.jpg

However the L X B fits your specs the height is the issue
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/Q131-1053-call01-maf.jpg

If with some slight alterations a 9.1" tall case in shelf is fine then bingo hehe

Ooops... after seeing your reply only I realized my mistake of interchanging the ht & wd.. The correct dimensions of my shelf is:
17.5" Height X 7.9"Width X 17.5"X 17.8"Depth

December 9, 2009 12:19:01 PM

I don't think it's as good, mainly because it's less upgradable. The LGA775 socket is virtually dead, so if you find you need to upgrade later it's not going to cut it.

No new build should be using DDR2 RAM. It's also on the way out, and there is absolutely no reason to build a computer that's already obsolete.

The GPUs are ok, but both are outclassed by the newer HD 5xxx series.

The WD will be more expensive, louder and slower than the newer Spinpoint F3.

About all that's good inthe build is the case and the PSU...
!