No Risk Overclock?

CherkerDust

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hello, I have a Q6600 2.4 ghz quad core processor on an intel motherboard running BIOS BX97520J.86A.2838.2008.0903.1859

I am 100% new to overclocking and I am here to ask about a simple, risk-free overclock for my setup, if one exists. I don't want to get the best performance, just a small to moderate increase.

I see in my BIOS it is saying I have a 9 multiplied by a 266 to get 2.39 total ghz. I can't change the 9, it seems to be locked, but I can change the 266. If I change that to 300, I get a 2.7 total ghz which is more than enough for me. My question is, can I just change the 266 to 300 and change nothing else? Will that work? Will it cause any problems or risk some damage to my processor? I don't have any fancy CPU stress/heat/performance monitoring software and I'd rather not get any.

Advice and tips much appreciated (although if it involves downloading a half dozen programs, spraying thermal paste everywhere, or anything beyond "change this value" its too much for me!). Thanks.

firstly when overclocking you should not use the stock heatsink
when changing from 266 to 300 stress test your system for stability using prime95 and use core temp or teal temp to keep an eye on your temperatures. if the system doesnt crash and is stable after 4hrs or stress testing you dont have to change anything else. if you get a bsod or crash while stress testing increase the cpu voltage a little. with increased voltage the heat output increases and thats when the aftermarket heatsinks come into play

There is no such thing as a "No Risk Overclock", even automatic overclock motherboard features could be the killer, so there is no risk free overclocking, and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying.

Every overclocker knows they are accepting the risk to overclock and it totally depends on the quality of all your hardware as to whether you can overclock at all, any weak link in the hardware chain can result in disaster.

My advice to you is, if you really desire to overclock study how to do it first!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

CherkerDust

Honorable
May 18, 2012
So there is alot of conflicting replies so far, kinda confused. I ran realtemp and my first core (the hottest one) runes at 37C idle and reaches a max of 60C during a couple hours gaming. My CPU has a thermal rating of 71C according to intel so this seems alright.

If I change the BIOS setting from 266 to 300, but I don't change the voltage, this *shouldn't* make the temp increase any at all right? And if I don't experience any BSOD's or stability issues is this one chang the only change I need to make to overclock my system from 2.4ghz to 2.7ghz?

Do I have to go to 333? Can I not just do 300?

Some extra info/opinions would be appreciated, seems to be alot of disagreement on advice so far. Thanks!

Ryan is kind of an authority on clocking, especially Intel stuff so I would give his advice a good deal of trust,
if you overclock you increase heat, simple as, even without extra voltage,
if you are able to get an aftermarket cooler then feel free to do so,
but a smaller clock like yours does not automatically require one, its nice to have but not mandatory at this point,
my advice on top of Ryans is google, read, learn, google more, then have a crack at applying what you have learned
but welcome to the game man, welcome to the game
maybe here is a good starting point
Moto
**I don't have any fancy CPU stress/heat/performance monitoring software and I'd rather not get any**
Coretemp sits on your taskbar giving you a realtime temp display, free and non-obtrusive, if you are overclocking you HAVE to know your temps are in line

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I was the proud owner of a Q6600 that ran several years at 3.4 and 3.6ghz. Once you get past 3.2 you really have to start bumping your vcore. However, this really depends not just on your CPU (Q6600's were fantastic overclockers and can still be a very strong, legitimate CPU when overclocked and coupled with a modern GPU) but your motherboard make/model/chipset and power supply. I had both Intel and nVidia chipsets for this CPU; it was easier to overclock using the Intel boards (P45), but there was less control for RAM and FSB whereas the nVidia boards (780i and 790i) allowed me to run an unlinked FSB so I could leave my RAM at stock speeds while adjusting FSB values.

For me to reach stability using Intel Burn Test at 20 passes, I needed a vcore of 1.450-1.475. You might require less or more depending on actual CPU, PSU, motherboard, RAM, patience and reading.

intel motherboard running BIOS BX97520J.86A.2838.2008.0903.1859

Intel motherboard, or Intel chipset? Assuming MB? What model? I know that many Intel boards of this era weren't geared for overclocking...more for stability.

CherkerDust

Honorable
May 18, 2012
My motherboard is: D975XBX here is the intel website on it: http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d975xbx/

Still looking for some good help here. Advice geared towards getting high overclocks doesn't apply to me well, since I am only looking for a small overlock. For example, 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.7ghz. Also vague replies of "go learn how to do it" are about as unhelpful as possible.

If it is simply not possible to do a *small* overlock with my hardware safely without vast hours spent researching and experience and practice, so that no casual PC user would be able to, just let me know.

If it is possible, I would appreciate some feedback on my specific situation - namely, can I safely bump my BIOS setting from 266 to 300 without changing the voltage, as long as I monitor CPU temps? If I do this, would I need to change any other settings? Thanks.

Which bios setting?
I assume you are referring to your fsb, and once you alter your fsb, you automatically throw other settings out of balance,
You do need to research what you are doing so you know what alters what, why and how to deal with it, if you are not prepared to spend hours doing so, I respectfully suggest you leave things alone,
Or you risk killing your Pc and not even knowing how
Moto

CherkerDust

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Fair enough Moto, that's all I wanted to know. Cheers.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
To add to Moto: there isn't really such a thing as a setting you can put into your BIOS and just being OK. The closest thing would be bumping your FSB from 266 to 333 which would put you at 3.0ghz. This usually means you don't have to raise vcore, but not always. Also, your RAM can limit any OC as well...just be aware of this.